Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - PNC king

#1
Quote from: 'Greg McDonald' pid='77734' dateline='1439519561'
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='77461' dateline='1439175949'Just received my copy of the 22nd edition and looks good. I do like the new coin information articles at the front (although the tiny print doesn't much appeal). Still, I would rather have the information than bigger print and less information.
Quality of many of the photos does look better but some of the mintmark photos are still a bit "fuzzy".

And, it had to happen...page 213; picture of 2013 Coronation $2 is actually of the 2014 Remembrance $2.
"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley"
Robert Burns To a Mouse

I have only had it half an hour but looks good to me. No problem with the prices as far as I am concerned.

Hi Jeff,

Corrected those errors already.  Thanks for picking them up.  Please let me know of any others.

Regards

Greg

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='73722' dateline='1433262601'is the book ever going to come out or have we seen the end of it ????????????????????????

Hi PNC

Yes it is out.  Rushed it through - just for you.  Look forward to your usual balanced review

Cheers  Greg
book needs grades to be in SHELDON SCALE as there is a huge difference in price for top population coins in decimal and predecimal
#2
it has definitely seen some circulation in the last 15 years
#3
Quote from: 'trout' pid='78896' dateline='1441505166'I know these are a special strike and there were only 2000 struck, There are also many other Decimals struck with low mintages.
What I am saying is I personally wouldn't fork out $600-$700 for this particular  coin because I consider it to be over priced for what it is and the inferior condition of most of the coins are in :ok:

So to me Personally this coin is over rated and over priced, To other collectors Maybe Not :ok:
i never wasted any money on purchasing this coin even 20 years ago when you could get one for $ 100 , was still way more than the coin is worth buy your self a mule or a wavy 20 cent instead or a  MS 64 no sd two cent or a MS 64 RD perth mint one cent or a MS 63 or better incuse 50 cent
#4
Quote from: 'runway' pid='78881' dateline='1441460557'The Yarralumla PNC is probably the King of PNCs even thought its a private release but I don't consider it over rated.
I haven't seen any for sale for a while so I have no idea about the price
if you pay any more than $600-$700 and you are getting ripped off HARD
#5
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='78840' dateline='1441412534'
Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='78824' dateline='1441375253'IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS
I would be interested to know your rationale for that statement.
In my opinion any scarce collectible item is worth what a collector is willing to pay. What a seller is asking is irrelevant if (s)he can get no takers.
it is all about the grade point average , because it has a weighting of 8 a low grade coin would ruin the grade point average

Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='78850' dateline='1441415495'I personally think 1934/35 florins are way over rated. When a 1943 1942 or 1940 Shillings in MS64/65 go much less than what people pay for a 34/35 in MS65 or MS64. There is a 1911 half penny for sale at Walters auction that he couldn't sell for $1500... I think it is worth double that..
spot on way more high grade 34/35 florins  were saved , because they were an oddity , compared to other coins from the same vintage

here is another over priced /over rate coin  the yarrlumna PNC
#6
my pick for the most over priced over rated aussie coin is the 1923 half penny in grades lower than VF 35 , IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS
#7
Quote from: 'nealeffendi' pid='77957' dateline='1440054364'
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='77263' dateline='1438917835'but what I don't quite get is that I can go to maccas for raw coin prices (with all of the backdrop of the whinging) with a set reliability each year

then the slabbers buy  for way under the raw price in maccas - the so called 'inflated'

 then the same slabbing guys sell the same coin for say, 20 times maccas's valuation and nobody so much as sneezes

it is an unreal world once you cross the boarder to the slabbing game

and the real life contradiction is that once it is in an American slabb
people accept the incredibly inflated prices - without all the sooking and whinging - especially if they are selling

frankly I am sick of it all
If a coin sells for 20 times its macca's valuation then perhaps it is worth 20 times. The problem with any catalogue (not Greg's fault) is that it can only quote a few grades and even if they quote Unc, ChUnc and Gem there are probably a number of grades missed (aGem, Gem+ etc). With slabs a coin might be X$ at MS64+ (aGem), and 2X$ at MS65 but jump to 20X$ at MS66.
hence an online guide is the future
#9
the coins are legal tender and if you want to complete your 20 cent set they are essential
#10
has anyone sent off the 14 twenty cent  coins to pcgs for grading , i notice drakesterling  have some on their website
#11
after taking my 14 coins out of the cards and inspecting them closely mine all range between MS 64 - 65 , i am very disappointed and i will not bother sending them across for grading
#12
Books and Publications / RE: POCKETBOOK NOW OUT
August 02, 2015, 08:26:31 PM
coin prices have been going down for the last 5 years
#13
is the book ever going to come out or have we seen the end of it ????????????????????????
#14
Books and Publications / RE: old books
June 02, 2015, 01:36:36 AM
i have  nearly every book on aussie coins ever  written , i think i am missing only 2 books
#15
Quote from: 'Cougar' pid='71270' dateline='1429938105'Thankyou for the photo. I look forward to receiving mine soon hopefully.
looks good