most over rated and over priced aussie coins

Started by PNC king, September 04, 2015, 11:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PNC king

my pick for the most over priced over rated aussie coin is the 1923 half penny in grades lower than VF 35 , IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS

trout

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='78824' dateline='1441375253'my pick for the most over priced over rated aussie coin is the 1923 half penny in grades lower than VF 35 , IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS

Good luck with that idea :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Basil

Yeah,it was the holy grail when i was at School in the 1960's as 1925 Pennies although pricey were plentiful.I think a grand is a fair price for a low grade.
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

JeffH

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='78824' dateline='1441375253'IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS
I would be interested to know your rationale for that statement.
In my opinion any scarce collectible item is worth what a collector is willing to pay. What a seller is asking is irrelevant if (s)he can get no takers.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

autocoupler

They've been up and down more than the Chinese stock market in recent years. Lower grade examples were attracting crazy prices a few years back and IMHO are now back closer to where they should be. To be honest, I would rather pay top dollar for any  high grade penny variety coin in the list compiled by JeffH in another thread.
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

ausproofs

I personally think 1934/35 florins are way over rated. When a 1943 1942 or 1940 Shillings in MS64/65 go much less than what people pay for a 34/35 in MS65 or MS64. There is a 1911 half penny for sale at Walters auction that he couldn't sell for $1500... I think it is worth double that..
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...

robbiegal

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='78824' dateline='1441375253'my pick for the most over priced over rated aussie coin is the 1923 half penny in grades lower than VF 35 , IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS


Mister T

Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='78850' dateline='1441415495'I personally think 1934/35 florins are way over rated.

Agreed.

trout

Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='78855' dateline='1441423341'
Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='78850' dateline='1441415495'I personally think 1934/35 florins are way over rated.

Agreed.

HeHe
Don't get me started on these bloody things :diablo::)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

PNC king

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='78840' dateline='1441412534'
Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='78824' dateline='1441375253'IT SHOULD BE WORTH NO MORE THAN 300 DOLLARS TOPS
I would be interested to know your rationale for that statement.
In my opinion any scarce collectible item is worth what a collector is willing to pay. What a seller is asking is irrelevant if (s)he can get no takers.
it is all about the grade point average , because it has a weighting of 8 a low grade coin would ruin the grade point average

Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='78850' dateline='1441415495'I personally think 1934/35 florins are way over rated. When a 1943 1942 or 1940 Shillings in MS64/65 go much less than what people pay for a 34/35 in MS65 or MS64. There is a 1911 half penny for sale at Walters auction that he couldn't sell for $1500... I think it is worth double that..
spot on way more high grade 34/35 florins  were saved , because they were an oddity , compared to other coins from the same vintage

here is another over priced /over rate coin  the yarrlumna PNC

Ozcoins

Grade point average has nothing to do with an individual type of coin though. ...
Eg if you want a high grade coin and there are none you can afford,  you will either need to do without, or get a lower grade coin.
How would the same argument go for a 1930 penny?
The idea that there are over valued (or conversely undervalued) coins is a good one for discussion, but I think the justifications for WHY would have to be very good to convince anyone that the current market is wrong.

runway

The Yarralumla PNC is probably the King of PNCs even thought its a private release but I don't consider it over rated.
I haven't seen any for sale for a while so I have no idea about the price
Buy what gives you enjoyment

PNC king

Quote from: 'runway' pid='78881' dateline='1441460557'The Yarralumla PNC is probably the King of PNCs even thought its a private release but I don't consider it over rated.
I haven't seen any for sale for a while so I have no idea about the price
if you pay any more than $600-$700 and you are getting ripped off HARD

trout

Without the packaging on the "Yarralumla" issue the coin is a Bog common 50c piece with a mintage of over 14 million and from what I can gather NOT in very good condition due to the packaging to boot.
I imagine that the best grade you could find one of these in would be in the MS64 range which makes it a $10 coin in a private issue envelope.

So as far as an over rated COIN goes this matches the criteria perfectly :ok:

As far as stamp collectors and PNC collectors go I imagine that this is considered a "Rarity" But as I am a coin collector this is just a vaguely interesting piece to me , I would much rather   a nice Sovereign or even a great looking Penny than this .
You could pick up a beautiful Canberra Florin in MS65 for this sort of money :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Quote from: 'trout' pid='78886' dateline='1441495638'Without the packaging on the "Yarralumla" issue the coin is a Bog common 50c piece with a mintage of over 14 million and from what I can gather NOT in very good condition due to the packaging to boot.
I imagine that the best grade you could find one of these in would be in the MS64 range which makes it a $10 coin in a private issue envelope.

That's actually very, very wrong.  The coins in the Yarralumla PNC are specimen coins that are different to the "bog common 50c piece" as you put it.  In top condition they are one of the HARDEST decimal coins to find.  You should read Cruzi coins on the subject http://www.cruzis-coins.com/Grading/1969Yarralumla.html or even our blog.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog