old books

Started by ausjack, June 01, 2015, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ausjack

Got a lend of two old renniks books today, coin and banknotes tenth ed 1976 and australian coin guide part 1 1975 and gee it's good reading and there's a lot of interesting stuff in these old books and too look at some of the old prices and see what some are worth today like the 72 5 cent in 1975 was worth .15 along with the other years but in 76 the 73 5 cent had doubled to .30 but the 72 was starting to be recognised and was up to $1 and reading about proof sets and proclamations and all.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

stevo1962

Yeah I have a bit of a collection myself and they do offer come interesting reading

It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

PNC king

i have  nearly every book on aussie coins ever  written , i think i am missing only 2 books

ausjack

Awesome :good: I think it's good being able to see what was the trend and prices and how something didn't take off until a while down the track.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

purplepennyhunter

Nice AJ, I love old books.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

ausjack

Here are mine, Stevo and I have a few the same :friends:


A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

duggee27

her is my 1 and only oldie ..


2nd edition =1983

ausjack

:yahoo: great to have ya back duggee, I bet you had a ball cruisin around and spendin time with the grandies :)

I got some new babies (pagoda's) in brissie for next time your up for show and tell :friends:

Cool book and looks like it's had a bit of use in it's time :good:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

duggee27

aj
here is the page you might be interested in



and as its your thread and you asked a ?

yes it was awesome to be with kids and grandies , could bore you you with heaps of photos :D

will start other thread on coins i picked up

and if you show me those pagodas they just might go missing :angel:

ausjack

Cool, good to hear all are well and looking forward to seeing these coins :)

Yeah see the price of the 72 5 cent @ $25.

:laugh2: wouldn't be the first time they went missing :winkextra:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

Greg McDonalds next big book is what I want to buy,must'nt be long now
Buy what gives you enjoyment

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='73603' dateline='1433174796'i have  nearly every book on aussie coins ever  written , i think i am missing only 2 books

Which 2? I have just about all the older books (Reid, Deacon-Hunt etc).
The older books (pre 1964) are a mine of info for what the collectors didn't know about until Deans variety catalogue came out in 1965.

drakesterling

Hi Neale, what is the Reid? I don't think I've heard of this one.

Eric

Mister T

Is there a definitive list?

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'drakesterling' pid='74259' dateline='1434097593'Hi Neale, what is the Reid? I don't think I've heard of this one.

Eric
Oops, might be Read:blush:. Vincent Read owned a bookshop in Brisbane back in the 1950s and was a publisher. I'll get a list together of some of the books on Aussie coins that probably only a handful of collectors would have.