1992 $1 Roo

Started by lacey, September 17, 2012, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lacey

I have been looking for a 1992 $1 Roo for a while now, has anyone seen one in their travels?  Must be as scarce as hens teeth.

bellyflorin

hi lacey , i don't think there was a $1 Roo minted for that year ??

lacey


bellyflorin

there telling porky pies , no  92 roo  it's a mistake , they can't count lol

accumulator

G'day Lacey & Belly, Apparently they re-struck the 1984 & 1985 MOR's coins in 1992 for the 5 coin $1 sets they put out,but definitely no 1992 dated $1 MOR's were ever struck.

This is the set i'm referring to  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCARCE-1984-1992-1-FIVE-COIN-UNC-DOLLAR-SET-FOLDER-CANBERRA-MINT-SALE-/261098951532?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item3ccab5d36c#ht_500wt_1288


Australian coin

I seen that post too, but is a case of ill believe it when I see it.

Sapyx

The RAM says "0.008 million minted". That's only 8,000 coins, a smaller mintage than the Barcelona dollar that same year. If they existed and were released for circulation, they'd be one of the true rarities of the decimal series.

Alas, all the evidence seems to indicate they don't, they weren't and they aren't.

As others have said here and elsewhere, they appear to be mis-counting some made-for-sets-only MOR coins that actually bore the dates 1984 and 1985, even though they were struck in 1992.

As for the "error coin", it doesn't really count. Why would a coin ever be struck on a "partially prepared proof blank" during regular production?  It sounds more like a "mint sport" than a genuine mistake.
Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, \"Meditations\"

lacey

OK thanks every body.  I take it there are no 1992 $1 roo.

Still, the 2007 roo $1 will be kinda scarce, as only made for mint sets.  At least I have a few of them.

Pedro

Had been thinking along similar lines Lacey and have tucked away some 2007 MORs as well. They seem to be drawing a bit of a premium on Ebay. Haven't seen many sold this year but those that have been are averaging around $20.

Pedro

lacey

Hi Pedro,

I hope the price goes over the cost of the mint set, then I would at least get my money back.

I find it amazing that the '86 and '87 mint sets are really expensive.  I commented on this in another forum.  Why are ppl so eager to pay more for '85 with the scarce 5c but the other mint sets sell for cheap.  People are funny creatures.

Mister T

Quote from: 'Australian coin' pid='562' dateline='1347866841'I seen that post too, but is a case of ill believe it when I see it.

I don't think someone would spend money on it unless that's what it was.

Quote from: 'Sapyx' pid='564' dateline='1347870855'As for the "error coin", it doesn't really count. Why would a coin ever be struck on a "partially prepared proof blank" during regular production?  It sounds more like a "mint sport" than a genuine mistake.

Most likely.

Pedro

Hi Lacey,

The sale prices for 2007 sets vary quite widely on Ebay, generally between $15 - $28 (including postage).

A buyer paid $46.50 for a set a few weeks ago but that was well over the norm and some sellers have managed to make sales in the early thirties with Buy It Now prices (again including postage). At the moment prices are very inconsistent on these sets with no evident trend.

Pedro

lacey

$46.50?  WOW that's a lot.    oh well, I hope the coin itself has gone up wildly in 10 yrs so I could make a nice profit.

rubystein

Re 1992 $1 roo I haven't seen a image ever I don't believe they exist