1992 $1 Roo

Started by lacey, September 17, 2012, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dreamcatcher

Hi guys. I saw this on the rammint site last year and made some enquiries with the mint. I was told by one of the staff who worked at the time that there is no reason to believe the records are incorrect but there is also the only way to prove they exist is to look in circulation. I went through around 15,000 coins at the time but didn't find one. I did some calculations on how many there are in circulation 8,000 divided by total $1 coins and it was something like 1 1992 MOR per every 150,000 coins so it will take a while to go through that many. I think they are around and the auction listing confirms my suspicion.

JeffH

How many do you want?
Just kidding.:taunt:
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

naomi_j86

Quote from: 'Sapyx' pid='564' dateline='1347870855'The RAM says "0.008 million minted". That's only 8,000 coins, a smaller mintage than the Barcelona dollar that same year. If they existed and were released for circulation, they'd be one of the true rarities of the decimal series.

Alas, all the evidence seems to indicate they don't, they weren't and they aren't.

As others have said here and elsewhere, they appear to be mis-counting some made-for-sets-only MOR coins that actually bore the dates 1984 and 1985, even though they were struck in 1992.
Could you please explain this again? Admittedly, I am tired, but I just don't understand!

1992 sets had 1984 coins?
There absolutely no 1992 mor made, even for mint sets?

*Embarrassed* :blush2:
~Naomi.

Mister T

I think the 1992 set mentioned contained five different dollar coins, including 1984 (and 1988 too I think).
The mint set 1992 $1 coins commemorated the Barcelona Olympics so there shouldn't have been any 1992 Mob of Roos $1 coins made.

accumulator

If the 1992 $1 coin was made with the figures the Mint says of 8000 then we would be seeing them in the market,the 2000 $1 mule is said to have an estimated mintage of around 6000 & you see them all the time so would'nt it stand to reason that there would be as many or more 1992 $1's up for sale if they existed,i don't believe they exist.

Nevol

This is my understanding of how the mix-up regarding 1992 Mor coins came about.

In 1992, a set of 5 x $1 coins was released. It contains 1 x 1984 MoR, 1 x 1985 Mor, 1x 1986 Yr of Peace, 1 x 1988 Bi-cent and 1 x 1992 Barcelona.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1984-1992-AUSTRALIAN-ONE-DOLLAR-5-COIN-SET-/170905057908?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item27cabc3a74

The 8000 coins that are shown on the RAM site as ostensibly being 1992 MoR coins, were in fact re-strikes of the 1984 Mor and/or 1985 MoR that were needed to make up these "One Dollar Five Coin Set" in 1992.

If there really were 8000 x 1992 MoR coins, some of them would have surfaced in the last 20 years.  The fact that none have, indicates that the 8000 x 1992 MOR coins reported on the RAM site are in fact re-strikes of prior years coins.  

1992 MoR coins simply do not exist.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Graham

As I understand it, the MoRs in the five coin set were re-strikes, i.e., MoRs dated 84, 85 struck in 1992.

You beat me Nevol. :-)

naomi_j86

Thanks Guys!
So easy to understand now, yet my brain was telling me we suddenly had overdate coins in 1992 that were 1984/5 coins!

I've never actually seen that 5 coin set before, so I've learnt 2 new things today! A day not wasted :)

So, if there weren't too many Barcelona coins minted, why do I find so many of them in circulation?!

purplepennyhunter

You're not finding Barcelona dollars in circulation.

This topic is easily very confusing.[/u]
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Graham

Now I'm confused and having a Paulette moment. I have 4 x Barcelona $1 taken from circulation.

Australian coin


Pedro

As with NCLTs the occasional one or two do slip into circulation. Somebody spending their inheritance??

Pedro

Mister T

Quote from: 'Graham' pid='1497' dateline='1350168372'Now I'm confused and having a Paulette moment. I have 4 x Barcelona $1 taken from circulation.

You've done alright. How many $1 have you looked through to find those?

I remember back before I'd ever bought a catalogue wondering why I could never find a 1992 $1.

lacey

Quote from: 'accumulator' pid='1489' dateline='1350129645'If the 1992 $1 coin was made with the figures the Mint says of 8000 then we would be seeing them in the market,the 2000 $1 mule is said to have an estimated mintage of around 6000 & you see them all the time so would'nt it stand to reason that there would be as many or more 1992 $1's up for sale if they existed,i don't believe they exist.

lol I'm glad you see the 2000 $1 mule all the time.  I have never seen one at all, or do you mean see them all the time on ebay?

naomi_j86

Quote from: 'Sapyx' pid='564' dateline='1347870855'The RAM says "0.008 million minted". That's only 8,000 coins, a smaller mintage than the Barcelona dollar that same year.

Where did you get that figure from?
On this site, it says there are a lot more Barcelona $1s?
http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2009/06/australian-dollar-coins-1991-to-1995-issues-and-mintages.html