New $5 note

Started by jens coins, February 11, 2016, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

A mate from Perth dropped one of the notes off for me today.
Nice looking note :)

Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Hercules

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='98888' dateline='1474963332'BTW, just been talking to my mate who picked up a shrinkwrapped pack today. We were comparing serials, and suddenly a bright light went off over my head...

They're running the counters UP, not DOWN like they used to!


Which means my PDF is wrong, but that was always just a guess anyway. :dodgy:

I mentioned that on CCF a couple of weeks ago. Because the first digit after the year was always 0 or 1, it seemed obvious to me that they began at 0000001 and worked up, rather than at 1999999 and worked down. Otherwise, the serial numbers would be out of order if they decided to print more than 2 million sheets.

serial

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='98887' dateline='1474955297'i got a bundle of 10 for $50 ?
they have a little white sleeve as well

is that a bundle? .... baby bundle??

that is why I asked
The term for that is a flat, a group of 100 is a block and 1000 is a brick

robbiegal

oh excellent
thanks

so it's a flat 50 ... too cool
it's my BB group

trout

The yanks call a 100 note block a "Strap", I wonder what they call a flat if they have them over there?
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

robbiegal

i often have pondered where the expression 'flat strap' originated from

trout

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='98921' dateline='1474976730'i often have pondered where the expression 'flat strap' originated from

I always assumed that "Flat Strap" originated from horse riding and it referred to going as fast as you can :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='98922' dateline='1474977094'I always assumed that "Flat Strap" originated from horse riding and it referred to going as fast as you can :)

You mean this horse from 2002?

https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/flat-strap

Or maybe one of these?



:dodgy:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Pedro

Has anyone seen or heard definitive confirmation that EJ is the last prefix? I noticed at least one Ebay seller offering to buy notes back if EJ isn't the last prefix.

Pedro

Fulvio

Quote from: 'Pedro' pid='99233' dateline='1475201334'Has anyone seen or heard definitive confirmation that EJ is the last prefix? I noticed at least one Ebay seller offering to buy notes back if EJ isn't the last prefix.

To not be the last prefix, they would have to go to a second sheet.

With 7-digit serials now, each sheet is good for 540 million notes.

They have announced a total of 170 million notes will be printed.

So what do you think? ;)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

trout

QuoteSo what do you think?  

I think that none of us will know until the Fat lady has finished singing :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='99236' dateline='1475202184'I think that none of us will know until the Fat lady has finished singing

Nah, they confirmed once again that the total production is 170 million. Or thereabouts, anyway... these things are never exact, and there seem to be quite a lot of sheets missing from every batch I've seen so far.

In fact, I reckon an intact, 100-note sequential bundle would be quite an achievement! It probably doesn't exist.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Pedro


kchan1111

Here is a pic of an uncut sheet, courtesy of Andrew Crellin's website Wish I can get one like that...

https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/articles/first-and-last-prefixes-are-they-really-first-and-last-inconceivable


9x6

Fulvio

That link's broken cos of the dot on the end.

https://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/articles/first-and-last-prefixes-are-they-really-first-and-last-inconceivable



To be honest, I find the article disappointing, other than the above pic which would have been handy when this thread started.

How did he possibly believe that prefixes were printed sequentially, when we've all known bout the sheet layouts since the beginning of polymer notes? Or at least since 1993 when the current scheme was introduced? Serials have always been the real game, not prefixes. Well, apart from the last sheet where that was a low 'mintage' that is.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW