New $5 note

Started by jens coins, February 11, 2016, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.


Pedro

Looks like the design is changing a little more than was flagged not so long ago.

Pedro

interest

Where did this come from?
As used by channel nine to show the one & two dollar notes.
Watch the story.

trout

2 serial numbers instead of just 1
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum


ausjack

Yeah no idea on that one interest :scratch_one-s_head:

Not a fan of the new note sorry, thanks for the links.

Why is it every bloody time they go on about our money they have to mention getting rid of the poor little five cent, it just means everything will be dearer and not "everyone" like that knob said uses electronic money so just kill me now as I doubt with no money in the bank that they would give me a credit card and if they did I'd tick heaps of shit up and then not pay or pay it back at $5 a fortnight :D
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Pedro

Was that a 1st of April media release that I missed?

I'm with you AJ. I had hoped that they had got over the monopoly money caricature styling phase. Even Lizzie doesn't look all that impressed.

Pedro

ausjack

One is not amused :mocking:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.


trout

Despite what they look like nobody is going to throw them in the bin because they don't like the design :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

JeffH

I must admit it doesn't look quite as bad as the picture I saw in a newspaper the other day.
Still reminiscent of a "camel" -a horse designed by a committee.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

JeffH

I was exchanging emails with our daughter sorting some details for our forthcoming USA trip and included a link to the Reserve Bank new $5 design.
Here is the reaction, from someone who has no numismatic interest
"As far as the visual design goes. Honestly I think it looks like a spew right up the middle of it full of bacteria. Those yellow things (I imagine they are supposed to be bottle brush flowers?) they seriously look like E. coli or Salmonella etc to me. Its too random. The blue bit with bird and bacteria doesn't match the purple/pink background. I don't even know why they are changing it. I think I read that there is braille on it - of course that is a very good feature. Fair enough put braille or tactile patterns on it, but yeah leave the rest the same."
She is a microbiologist so very familiar with the appearance of various bacteria.

And Yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald said "Besides the wattle blooms that look like pineapple pieces in vomit or alien amoebas running rampant, and the mash-up design, and the absence of famous Australian women, and the presence of the Queen, the community has embraced the new $5 note." Sarcastic, them? Never!

Do I detect a common theme in reactions to this design?
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

JeffH

Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

trout

I can remember when the first plastic notes were released and everyone hated them then.
I still do as I much prefer the feel/smell of paper currency in my wallet to the polymer stuff.
Ah well the days of having a few notes in my wallet that felt like real money are long gone :cray:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Enlilninlil

They look more like mitochondria then bacteria though.