Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - tooloot

#1
I still haven't met someone who's found a 2018 10c in change/whole noodling. Is there anyone out there that has?
#2
Thanks for that notcb. I figured it was just an error on the RBA website. It's been driving me mad! Much better :)
#3
Hi guys. Been a while since I've been here!

I am confused about which serial numbers for the first prefix (AA01) of the 2001 $5 federation banknotes are circulation issue, or folder issue. The RBA website says serial numbers between AA01 999999 and AA01 200001 are circulation issue, however other sources (such as Renniks) say that the folder issues are AA01 100000 to AA01 000001 (with "1901 to 2001" overprint).

I have a pair of note with serial numbers between AA01 100001 and AA01 200000, with no overprint. I assume this means they are circulation issue, but I'd love some clarification (if anyone has some) - I can't find any sources that explain where notes in this serial number range fit! Thanks guys.
#4
Sorry have been offline for a while. It is definitely a KC95 narrow band.

If you look in either Renniks or McDonalds these notes have a very high CV. Based on others responses, everyone is as confused about its value  as I am!
#5
Australian Banknotes / 1995 Last Prefix $5 Polymer Note
September 21, 2016, 10:58:01 PM
Hi guys. I've recently stumbled across a last prefix 1995 $5 note (KC05) in Fine condition. I was amazed to find that this note has a CV of $500! Can anyone help explain why the CV for this note is so high? The mintage is so much lower than say a KC05.... I'm just confused why this note is considered so valuable. Thanks.
#6
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='97879' dateline='1473764856'Everybody seen this dodgy APCGS 'Double Tail'?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112100246256

I have a mate who works at APCGS and I made him aware of this auction. He confirmed that it is in fact real and authenticated. Who woulda thought?!
#7
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 15, 2016, 10:52:37 AM
Great thinking outside the box Fulvio! We'll just wait and see I guess
#8
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 15, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
I've seen people selling prefix EJ16 and advertising it as the "last prefix". Does anyone know enough to verify if this is the case, or is this just more eBay dodginess?
#9
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 06, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
I think I've figured out how the serial numbers of these notes have been distributed to banks. After my 3rd visit to the same bank (Westpac), I received the same lots of serial numbers within 1,000 (first 4 digits staying the same, last 3 digits changing) but changing prefixes. By this logic, the banks likely receive 1,000 notes from each prefix (or thereabouts). So any bank could have the AA prefix by that logic (although I haven't found any yet).
#11
With the plethora of dodgy numismatic sellers out there, I wanted to know if there are any resources/websites/books out there that list which security companies rolled coins in certain years? Would be handy before purchasing certain rolls. Thanks in advance
#12
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 01, 2016, 10:38:36 PM
Another thing to consider - The banker I spoke to this evening (Westpac) said that as of tomorrow morning, they will be putting all the new $5 into the machine (cash changeover and the teller counters) and completely taking out all older $5 notes. So might be your last chance to properly noodle some of the older notes (if that's your thing)
#13
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 01, 2016, 09:15:54 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='96516' dateline='1472726432'
Quote from: 'kchan1111' pid='96515' dateline='1472724998'Why did they not start with AA-AZ?

Because the first $5 notes in 1992 were in the AA00-AB19 range. So in 1993 they started at BA to avoid confusion.Everything else starts at AA.

There are 40 notes on a sheet (45 for $10 and 32 for $100), so they go from BA in the top left to BM. BN-BZ are reserved for special purposes, such as the 'test' notes in 1997 (1996 for $100). The note after BM is CA, and so on. 13 per prefix gives 39, so one more to round out the 40, EA. Most years that's all there is, BA-EA because 40 million notes are more than enough to meet requirements. If a second sheet is needed, say like in 2006-2008, then they go to HB. And so on and so forth. First year of issue tends to go to higher sheet counts, so 1993 $10 was AA-KE. 1994 $20 AA-PE. And 1995 $50 went from AA-VG.

Also note that numbers start at 999999 and count down (well, 000000 really, but that sheet is kept separate).

I'm not sure if this is the case with the new notes, though. I've seen a few images of prefix AA16, also there are 7 digits that follow, not 6 like in other years. Changes up the numbers quite a bit
#14
Australian Banknotes / RE: New $5 note
September 01, 2016, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: 'trout' pid='96454' dateline='1472692775'Are these folders sealed so that nobody can see the actual notes to determine the prefix or serial number until the seal is broken??

Not sure but I heard that all are going to be general prefixes - specifically said no first or last prefixes in the folders.
#15
Australian Banknotes / RE: Gap between prefix letters
August 31, 2016, 09:16:13 PM
Thanks guys. It does appear that the 1997 prefix letters were more apart than in other years, at least from those eBay listings. Interesting that it was more separated than in other years. Appreciate the continued investigation.