2001 $5 Federation banknote - circulated versus folder issues

Started by tooloot, January 26, 2017, 06:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tooloot

Hi guys. Been a while since I've been here!

I am confused about which serial numbers for the first prefix (AA01) of the 2001 $5 federation banknotes are circulation issue, or folder issue. The RBA website says serial numbers between AA01 999999 and AA01 200001 are circulation issue, however other sources (such as Renniks) say that the folder issues are AA01 100000 to AA01 000001 (with "1901 to 2001" overprint).

I have a pair of note with serial numbers between AA01 100001 and AA01 200000, with no overprint. I assume this means they are circulation issue, but I'd love some clarification (if anyone has some) - I can't find any sources that explain where notes in this serial number range fit! Thanks guys.

Fulvio

http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

notcb

Tooloot,

I think you will find that the numbers AA000000 to AA000008 were kept as RBA archives.

AA01 000009 to AA01  000500 were sold by tender

AA01 000501 to AA01 100000 (actually just under 100000)   were issued for sale in the collector folders (including ANDA shows etc.)

All the above had the red overprinting 1901-2001

The rest of the AA01 notes from 100000 to 999999 were standard first prefix issue.

As you have noted the RBA site says 999999 to 200000 only issued, but does have a footnote to the effect that their records may not be all that accurate.

Like you, I have a significant number of AA01 notes in the 100000 to 200000 range, including consecutive pairs and the following set of 4:

AA01 120 044
AA01 120 055
AA01 120 066
AA01 120 077

Possibly some came from the uncut sheets of 40 notes which were also issued at that time???

Cheers

Peter  (notcb)

tooloot

Thanks for that notcb. I figured it was just an error on the RBA website. It's been driving me mad! Much better :)