Gap between prefix letters

Started by tooloot, August 31, 2016, 08:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tooloot

Got this in my change today. It looks to me like the gap between the two letters in the prefix is further apart than normal. Can anyone tell me if this is a printing error (and hence collectable), or is it nothing? I don't know a lot about errors with notes do I appreciate the advice.


ausjack

I had a quick look at feebay and couldn't really tell sorry as you sort of need another note with the same letters, maybe just put it away for a while and see what happens.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='96401' dateline='1472640864'if this is a printing error (and hence collectable), or is it nothing?

Here's the numbering blocks from the RBA, and a closeup of the sort of mechanism we're talking about...





It looks like the spacers have changed. The question is whether this is a temporary aberration or a hardware upgrade, perhaps a change to new blocks with a different setup.

My money would be on this being nothing, but others may have a differing opinion. I'd like to see other notes from the same sheet run, with both the same prefix and different positions in the sheet.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW


Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96407' dateline='1472642165'Here's the couple that I was looking at

OK, so both top-left and bottom-right corners are normal. Anybody know where CH sits on the sheet? I can't find my chart. :(
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

tooloot

Thanks guys. It does appear that the 1997 prefix letters were more apart than in other years, at least from those eBay listings. Interesting that it was more separated than in other years. Appreciate the continued investigation.

ausjack

Sorry we could help more TL.

No idea sorry Fulvio
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

trout

If only that "8" was a "9" then you would have had something special :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Mister T

I sometimes look at notes and I see slight width variations like this from time to time but I assume it's just got to do with how the machine is set up.