1995 Last Prefix $5 Polymer Note

Started by tooloot, September 21, 2016, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tooloot

Hi guys. I've recently stumbled across a last prefix 1995 $5 note (KC05) in Fine condition. I was amazed to find that this note has a CV of $500! Can anyone help explain why the CV for this note is so high? The mintage is so much lower than say a KC05.... I'm just confused why this note is considered so valuable. Thanks.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='98495' dateline='1474464481'I'm just confused why this note is considered so valuable.

Its not. Sure you haven't got your notes mixed up? KC95's are about nine times more common than KC05's.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Hercules

According to the RBA, there were 766,999 KC95's, but only 89,963 KC05's. Thus, KC05 should be much more valuable than KC95, when in fact, the opposite is true. What many people forget, however, is that the internet didn't really catch on in Australian until the early 2000s, so a lot of collectors were unaware of which prefixes they should collect. Once the internet caught on, this information became readily available, so there was never a shortage of first or last prefixes for notes dated 2002 onwards.

Nevol

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='98495' dateline='1474464481'last prefix 1995 $5 note (KC05) in Fine condition. Thanks.
So is it KC95 (1995) or KCO5 (2005) :dontknow:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Fulvio

One thing I forgot to take into account because I was half asleep is that the note in question might have been a narrow bars KC95. The numbers are still not in the same league as the KC05's, but they are significantly rarer. Of course, it would have been clearly identified as such by the vendor.

Doesn't explain why everyone from Greg McDonald down always had both wide and narrow bars listed at identical and insane prices though. :dodgy:

Maybe it WAS an internet thing after all... *shrug*
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

tooloot

Sorry have been offline for a while. It is definitely a KC95 narrow band.

If you look in either Renniks or McDonalds these notes have a very high CV. Based on others responses, everyone is as confused about its value  as I am!

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='98728' dateline='1474764462'Sorry have been offline for a while. It is definitely a KC95 narrow band.

A narrow band is fair enough. Its the wide bands that have me stumped as to why people would pay the same price.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW