Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - NZCoinerrors

#1
World Errors and Varieties / RE: NZ - Decimal Errors
October 17, 2016, 08:36:40 PM
Quote from: 'translateltd' pid='100112' dateline='1476697564'Just for amusement, here's the follow-up from the SA Mint, exactly as written.  I suspect they examined a sample of precisely one coin before replying, and didn't look at just which part of the date was at the bottom:


They did not do much right did they.  After the stuff up with the 1997 $2 coin they needed to try and make themselves look better and avoid another control issue
#2
Australian Errors and Varieties / 1978 1 Cent Fault
October 17, 2016, 08:08:31 PM
Purchased this in a bulk lot of NZ errors last week has anyone seen similar faults with 1978 1 Cent coins?



#3
World Errors and Varieties / RE: NZ - Decimal Errors
October 17, 2016, 07:58:27 PM
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='100104' dateline='1476694958'Which means extremely sloppy workmanship. If out of say a hundred dies, twenty of them are installed at random alignments as much as 45° out of spec, AND NOBODY NOTICED, what does that say about quality control?


Quality control for NZ coins has never been that great regardless of mint in my opinion.  The Canadian mint was great until they produced the 2014 date variety without mentioning this to the Reserve Bank (currently being investigated)

Love that Fax from the S/A mint.  

Dont think I have ever owned a fax machine haha
#4
World Errors and Varieties / RE: NZ - Decimal Errors
October 17, 2016, 07:34:42 PM
I have to agree with Translateltd on this one

all dies with the same rotation have the same fault / cuds I have taken some of my worst photos in a while (due to not having time to do it properly tonight but each row shows a different die fault / cud etc and each have the same rotation.  Only had the time to do 3 error types and 3 coins of each but the trend continues





#5
World Errors and Varieties / RE: NZ - Decimal Errors
October 07, 2016, 09:40:07 PM
Re the Rope varieties this is still being researched further by a few people as I also discovered 2 years ago that the 1984 UNC sets have both rope varieties.  under 1984 section here http://www.coinerrors.nz/coins/new-zealand-decimal/50-cent/50-cent-coins-1967-2005/

Nice find on 3 wart nose they are harder to find now in bulk lots.  A number of different rotation varieties exist for the 1999 5c and a heap of die & planchet faults. I cant seem to find my old folder that I had all the rotation varieties written down.  Will have a hunt over the weekend.
#6
Quote from: 'Unicorn' pid='98754' dateline='1474790130'Great images NZC!!! :good:

Thanks Unicorn .  Still a work in progress as money and time permits
#7
Hard luck Nevol

They do seem rather hard to find at the moment so far 27 2014 Wide date coins in 7k mixed years (2006,2008 & 2014) searched for me.  These coins are rolled by a security company in Wellington from coins all over the lower north island.   I withdrew 10,000 coins from the bank to try and get a sample of what is currently around but it will be interesting to see if they get easier to find in the future
#8
World Errors and Varieties / NZ 2014 20 Cent Die Varieties
September 22, 2016, 08:02:11 PM
Wide and narrow-date varieties of 2014 20c confirmed, on my website. This was published by the Numismatic Society of Auckland Mintmark magazine June 2016, no. 381.  No photos or further information were provided so I was asked to look into (noodle away) to find and photograph the variety.

When the "narrow-date" (Type 2) coins first appeared in circulation it was clear that both obverse and reverse dies had been recut compared to the 2008 coins. Both sides of the newly discovered "wide-date" (Type 1) coins match the 2008 types, however, and would therefore appear to be earlier strikes than the Type 2 coins. It's interesting that the dies were recut part-way through the 2014 production run.

Link here

http://www.coinerrors.nz/coins/new-zealand-decimal/20-cent/2006-2/2014-20c-die-varieties/


#9
World Errors and Varieties / RE: New NZ Mule Identified
September 22, 2016, 07:56:48 PM
Been a while since I have checked in here nice to see it attributed by PCGS nice work pph

will add a new NZ variety that has just been confirmed on a new post shortly
#10
Quote from: 'AussieSilver' pid='85301' dateline='1457272610'nice coin NZ , so doubling on a coin is considered a variety ?

It could be an interesting debate but it depends what type of double it is for some people.  The one I posted was most likely caused by a loose die and not an actual doubled die so this would make it less interesting.  However if it repeats itself on a number of coins  I think it is worth collecting.
#11
Coin Chit Chat / RE: What catalogue do you recommend
March 06, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Thanks for that.  It is just for a guide that I can have on me when needed and something smaller than the krause catalogues that are annoying.

Now I have to make some calls to see if anyone has one for sale in NZ or find a cheap way to get it to NZ

Quote from: 'autocoupler' pid='85289' dateline='1457252189'Sorry, I can't answer your questions as I wouldn't have any better an idea than youself, but that is an absolute pure obverse.

I know right just the 1 mark on the queens face.  Even though the value is not that great I am so annoyed and looking at it again I wonder of someone rubbed it with something or dropped it and picked it up across the carpet.
#12
Coin Chit Chat / What catalogue do you recommend
March 06, 2016, 05:47:38 PM
So I am so new to Aussie coins that for years they have gone into boxes with the intent of searching one day.  Now after getting carried away at auction I need to purchase a catalogue to see if I spent to much or not lol.

What will give me the best information and most accurate prices as I will have to sell some of it before the better half finds out.

Also are the early 70's sets more popular together or do I split them up to sell as I got a few of these and a bunch of loose coins like the one below that fell out of its holder so was rolling around in the box with all the other coins :icon_cry: so reverse has some marks now that were not there when I viewed the lot


#13
Another Error Purchased this week

#14
Recently well yesterday I got carried away and purchased some Aussie coins at an auction (like I dont have enough NZ coins to sort) but quickly having a look for some varieties and I can not see this one listed anywhere.

1964 3d Doubling on the left hand side only from what I can see with it stopping at the second A of Australia



#15
World Errors and Varieties / RE: New NZ Mule Identified
February 23, 2016, 07:20:50 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='84799' dateline='1456208290'I've just published an article on the Blog.
2004 New Zealand Mule

Nice PPH :good:

Just with the die crack from queens neck that seems to vary in length and is not always noticeable on some coins that people have shown me.  Hopefully it creates a bit more interest in the coin and I have shared your link with a couple of people in the RNSNZ already :-)