What catalogue do you recommend

Started by NZCoinerrors, March 06, 2016, 05:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NZCoinerrors

So I am so new to Aussie coins that for years they have gone into boxes with the intent of searching one day.  Now after getting carried away at auction I need to purchase a catalogue to see if I spent to much or not lol.

What will give me the best information and most accurate prices as I will have to sell some of it before the better half finds out.

Also are the early 70's sets more popular together or do I split them up to sell as I got a few of these and a bunch of loose coins like the one below that fell out of its holder so was rolling around in the box with all the other coins :icon_cry: so reverse has some marks now that were not there when I viewed the lot



autocoupler

Sorry, I can't answer your questions as I wouldn't have any better an idea than youself, but that is an absolute pure obverse.
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

ausproofs

I use bluesheet or greensheet (raw coins) from Walter. Also a good Google search for past results comes very handy..
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...

Goldseeker

I believe a catalogue is only a "guide" to the value of a coin.   I use Greg Macdonalds Pocket Catalogue and have priced my collection on the prices quoted.   However, the final figure or total sum is only a guide to the collections value and that is used for insurance purposes only.

In saying that, I have seen many a coin dealer, when asked "how much", they look at Greg's Pocket Cat and quote that.   Whether one buys at that price quoted or not is up to the individual;.

If in your above post you are asking "what is the/a coin worth", the only true test is to put it up on EBay and see what the market is prepared to pay.

That is the only true way to get the true value.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


keldaw

In saying that, I have seen many a coin dealer, when asked "how much", they look at Greg's Pocket Cat and quote that. Whether one buys at that price quoted or not is up to the individual;.


true Bruce ,  sellers sell at that price in the book ,
 but they buy at 1/8th% of what the book says ..
    ,, kel ,,
take care because we care ..

NZCoinerrors

Thanks for that.  It is just for a guide that I can have on me when needed and something smaller than the krause catalogues that are annoying.

Now I have to make some calls to see if anyone has one for sale in NZ or find a cheap way to get it to NZ

Quote from: 'autocoupler' pid='85289' dateline='1457252189'Sorry, I can't answer your questions as I wouldn't have any better an idea than youself, but that is an absolute pure obverse.

I know right just the 1 mark on the queens face.  Even though the value is not that great I am so annoyed and looking at it again I wonder of someone rubbed it with something or dropped it and picked it up across the carpet.

robbiegal

That mark on HRM cheek is more likely original planchet and has been there since day dot. The face is often marked as that part of the die was hardest to fully strike up. I use maccas  too. And Rennicks between the two you get a good idea for raw coins.  Krause is no good for us. The Blues sheet is for slabbed coins I think. Xx beautiful coin. I think the 20c is a spectacular coin.with that patina it is very lovely.

P's if not original planchet  it is an original minting ding. It looks to me to be toned so it is not a new scratch.