Cashless society by 2020??

Started by Pedro, March 27, 2017, 10:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gweidion

I've been doing a payments diary for a week for a survey company. Record all your payments and method of paying. Also any cash withdrawals.
Fortunately ALL my payments including $134.70 to the doctors have been cash. Plus they got the right week for my standard fortnightly cash withdrawal from Scumcorp.
Hopefully other people are also showing that cash is not dead.
The people that annoy me are the ones at the supermarket who stuff about with their cards or phone, and haven't even got it ready when the checkout person says the cost. I just want to say "Cash is quicker."

autocoupler

I'm with you gweidion, and every time we shop electronically, someone else has the potential to know about it. All this tech and A. I. BS will get us eventually.

Our Son Inlaw's Dad was scammed today. He lives in Canada and received a call from a supposed lawyer representing his Son. Bail money was being asked for after a hit and run, they even put the son on the phone to speak with his father. Later, when the father rang back, he was surprised his son answered the phone, considering he was in goal. But no more surprised than his son!!
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

spraggdean23

Quote from: 'gweidion' pid='129431' dateline='1719976520'I've been doing a payments diary for a week for a survey company. Record all your payments and method of paying. Also any cash withdrawals.
Fortunately ALL my payments including $134.70 to the doctors have been cash. Plus they got the right week for my standard fortnightly cash withdrawal from Scumcorp.
Hopefully other people are also showing that cash is not dead.
The people that annoy me are the ones at the supermarket who stuff about with their cards or phone, and haven't even got it ready when the checkout person says the cost. I just want to say "Cash is quicker."

Cash is not always quicker. I went down the chemist just before to get a Covid testing kit because I have come down with something and the lady two spots ahead of me was fumbling around in her purse trying to get the right change for the items she had purchased and then she was 5 cents short and had to go back into her purse. I agree with you though it does not matter if you are paying cash or card you should be ready with either one when it comes time to pay.

nealeffendi

Annoying as heck when at the supermarket and someone is paying by phone. Seems like there is always an issue and problems with PIN numbers or account balances  and then the woman (mostly women) have to phone someone (husband?) to transfer money or to remind them of the pin.
With cash the only problem seems to be women (always women) who when the items have all been scanned and they are told the total only then fish and fumble into their handbag to find their purse, then they open it and then they find the cash (or their card). Seriously women need to get their act together and have their payment method ready.
And I normally already has calculated the total and has the exact amount ready to not waste time.

gweidion

I add mine up as I go too. Can't expect the current generation to do maths in their head though.

Tanecoins

Its a real problem here, we have worthless tiny coins and shops putting up signs saying that they no longer accept cash.

They quote a rash of ram raids and streetkids doing robberies as an excuse, but they are not there to steal coins, they want smokes, vapes, alcohol and precious metal (Several jewellery shops in our Indian ghettoes have been hit by drug fueled and gang prospect Polynesians). Also as the banks charge cash handling fees now and people do not want to pay a worker 15 minutes to kount up the kash.

Its technically legal as the money is legal tender, yet a sign clearly shown, is enough to skip around the law. It also does not help that free ATMs are only found at bank branches (More scarce) and shopping malls and some arcades. whereas places where cash is likely to be spent like a supermarket, they have added "Allpoint" ATMs not linked to any specific bank  (In New Zealand, Debit card transactions are free on any bank's ATM), and the Allpoints charge fees of at least $3 to extract cash from your account, so hence discouraging people from doing so and thus swiping the cards.

Its insisdious and hideous, but no one cares or is doing anything about it. Fast food restaurants use kiosks that make it easier to use cards than cash and faster and some now are losing the cash facility. The words "Legal tender" now are meaningless.
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

redlock

Very sad reports from NZ by tane...

Triggersmob

The banks are also closing branches, so it makes it harder for the retailers to deposit the cash. We still accept cash at work, but cards are certainly used more these days. I do the banking at work, and out of maybe $7K - $9K in retail sales per day, I would only bank $200 - $600 in cash.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Qld Sandy

Quote from: 'Tanecoins' pid='130530' dateline='1763083180'Its a real problem here, we have worthless tiny coins and shops putting up signs saying that they no longer accept cash.


Any shops that display that I will walk out of. I accept cash in our store and I will only deal with those that do the same.
A cashless society, for mine, is the first step to total control over everything you do and what you spend. Those in charge cannot be trusted to not interfere and freeze your accounts etc as a punishment or whatever. The same applies to digital id. Cheers.

gweidion

Tell me about it. Helped my daughter buy a car a couple of weeks ago. Went to do a bank transfer of $17,000, well under my allowed transfer limit.
Sorry, no, your payment is on hold for 24 hours. Sorry for any convenience. FFS.
Soon it will be, sorry no, we don't allow you to pay that person/company. It is your money, but no.
I'd rather have paid cash.
Going to have the same damned problem when I try to get my wife a new car.

fred lever

Just a new comment on the use of  cash.
I talked to some people last month that have NEVER used cash or even held a banknote of coin.
They are the current generation just becoming adults, 15 to 20 YO.
This is the trend whether you old fogies like it or not!
My grand kids, now adults, would be about the last generation to have handled cash.
Their kids will simply never see cash as all transactions are being done by a device in the hand.
In the city that's how it is now, cash is dead.
In the suburbs of Sydney, I only use cash just for fun to buy a real paper newspaper (what's that? said a 20YO!)
I have go out of my way to get cash from the bank to do this, we have no "change" coming in now.
Why am I even doing that? Nostalgia and a talking point.
Every other bill or transaction I now Bpay, bank transfer or bank debit card, end of story.
Gweidion, don't fret about waiting for a bank transfer, that gives you and the bank time to do the secondary OK security checks and avoid that guy in some other country draining your account!
This is the world we live in now whether flat earthers and tin foil canoe paddler protesters like it or not.
When I showed a shoe box full of decimal 'keepers' to some young adults they were amazed.
They had never seen so many notes and coins in the flesh.
I now see how important the government's push is to educate young people about coins, cash, and saving.
Keeping the Mint open and minting what I have called 'useless' coins i now realize has a solid foundation behind it.
The colored coins keep the presence of cash in the public knowledge.
I'm a slow learner but you have to stop looking at coinage as collectors and consider the social and all aspects of monetary commerce.
All it takes is a bit of thinking................

Fred.

gweidion

Yep, things have gone to hell. Multiple billions of dollars lost to scammers every year.
How much of it do you think is in cash? Eff all I imagine.
Gone are the days where you might find money on the ground.
Having said that, just the other day,  I did pick up a very battered 5 cent piece off the road on my walk to the Castle Hill track.

Tanecoins

Agree with all of you. There is a small movement of "cashers" in New Zealand, people who use cash for everything, as the number of internet breakdowns, power cuts and hackings increases and digitised money can't be used. But even the tills are powered by electricity, or some internet programme hacked by Dimitry Skamnikov from Putinskaya Komputorofski hackers.

So we use cash as much as possible, supermarkets, takeaways and I try to avoid no cash places, but its really hard when your campus is 3km from nowhere and all the cafes only accept cards.

I find too any worker of race (Like Indian, Polynesian, Chinese) or special needs (Autistic, low intelligence- shelter hires in which the shop can pay these workers as little as 50 cents an hour), they do not know at all about cash and get supervisors or plead for the card to make it easy. I have nao sympathetico (Portuguese for no sympathy). It is their job and they should be thankful they have one and are only employed as the shops are too cheap to hire a quality person like me or train these workers properly as it takes money and time.
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

Our government is making it compulsory for the likes of petrol stations and grocery stores to accept cash.
I would have thought all shops would like cash, so they can hide it from the tax man. Especially the fish & chip shops.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

autocoupler

Cash is still good at the racetrack. Not that we go often, but it's good sport on a big race day to watch the punters charge the bookies with wads of cash in their hands. On one occasion a guy dropped a fifty as he quickly brushed past my wife: she quickly swooped like a seagull onto a stale chip.
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!