Cashless society by 2020??

Started by Pedro, March 27, 2017, 10:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mister T

I don't mind the cash machines - they're not always fully stocked but no one questions why I want lots of coins.

fred lever

Hi Mr T!
i guess the point is if you don't have a "business" account with the bank, you are in the peasant class and are limited to $100 maximum on any one cash coin withdrawal!
That means that if you are cheeky you front up every day until they twig and have a word with you.
Go back a couple of years and the banks had branches in nearly every suburb in Sydney and i could walk in and take $500 worth or more coin of all sizes with a smile.
Now they have almost zero branches of any brand and you are either a noble or a peasant!
Problem there is pretty soon even businesses are going to join the peasant class and go cashless, or, start getting charged for trying to put in or take out cash coin.
The ideal branch apparently is a little shop with a row of computers for the punters to do banking and business and no notes or cash available at all.
Sounds ridiculous?
No. Just the most cost efficient of doing "banking".
Coming to a town near you soon!
Fred.

JeffH

I have been questioned why I am getting change. Told my account is personal, not business, and the machines are for businesses to get change.
Advice was up to $100 per week would be acceptable.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='129233' dateline='1716152183'I have been questioned why I am getting change. Told my account is personal, not business, and the machines are for businesses to get change.
Advice was up to $100 per week would be acceptable.

When noodling $100/week is chump change. I often get $1000 in rolls when looking for $2 coloured coins. Luckily there are still a few coin dispensing ATMs out there.

fred lever

Hi Neil!
Going to be tougher soon going by the machines installed in the 7hills branch.
In the old branch inside the 7hills shopping centre they had coin dispensing machines as you describe.
In the new joint ( outside the centre) just the ONE dispenser machine taking CASH notes only.
The notion of taking out cash coin on your card is over.
Not sure how they tell if you have a "business" account or peasant account.
I'm only getting  a bit of cash out to throw at the paper shop man.
I'll get the paper delivered soon, and I won't need any cash money at all.
(Oh, we still use cash at the cake shop, when we buy a pie or cake.
Bugger.)
If i want cash notes  i go to the one and only ATM in the main street of Toongabbie outside the new business centre.

The  PO is a dead loss they just look stupid if you want coin or cash.
ALSO, i found the local PO in Toongabbie now will not provide the service  of CERTIFYING a copy of a document as they used to.
The person behind the counter just gave me a stupid look and made noises like Manuel the waiter in faulty towers!
Keh? What you mean? You want what?
The chemist and my GP just have a stamp that says "i certify ect ect" and away we go.
The PO is now more useless than t s  on bull.

Fred.

redlock

Quote from: 'fred lever' pid='129235' dateline='1716290042'Not sure how they tell if you have a "business" account or peasant account.


Here in Germany, it is easy. Business and peasant accounts are given totally different account numbers by the banks. Of course, a normal customer doesn't easily recognize it because the number of digits and letters are the same. But the ATMs (banknotes) and coin dispensers (which numbers have been reduced greatly) recognize it instantly. And of course, if you go to a cashier he/she checks it by typing the account number into the computer.

mrcruise

I do not think cash will ever disappear. Even though the phrase "cashless society" is often thrown around by the media and of course banks are making it more and more difficult to withdraw cash by limiting ATM's etc the fact remains that people have learned through recent major outages of the electronic system that cash is the only effective form of commerce backup.
I know there are many business that do not accept cash and until a recent conversation with a business owner I was always under the impression they had signed onto some globalist plan. The simple fact was that they removed cash because of robberies they experienced and not because they did not embrace the notion of cash as a medium of exchange. That said they also mentioned they preferred cash because there are no fees associate with handling cash unlike fees for card machines etc. Nonetheless, how many business/activities out there can only survive on cash eg donation boxes or people knocking on your door for donations, tipping at certain entertainment venues (use your imagination), lemonade stands and fares etc
Despite the statistics reported if cash usage was on a downhill slope why is it still produced by The Royal Australian Mint and Note Printing Australia Limited - there must be a logical reason otherwise why spend all that money making currency that is not often used.

Mister T

Which banks are you with? The Westpac machines I've used don't seem to have an obvious limit although I've never probed too deeply. No one has ever talked to me while using one either.

JeffH

No limit with the CBA machine I have used. Just eagle eyed surveillance from staff who know me from when I used to come in regularly exchanging coins over the counter.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

JeffH

Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

gweidion

That is definitely a bill I would like to see get up. I refuse to deal with businesses that won't take cash.

Mister T

Ah sorry - the Westpac machines limit you to 12 rolls of each denomination I think - it's been a while.
That said, no one has ever bothered me.

nealeffendi

Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='129301' dateline='1717799359'Ah sorry - the Westpac machines limit you to 12 rolls of each denomination I think - it's been a while.
That said, no one has ever bothered me.

Is that per transaction? Can you do multiple transactions on the same day?

Mister T

Yeah rolls per denomination per transaction as far as I can tell. I have done multiple on the same day in the past I believe.

JeffH

Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.