2008 5¢ Die Clash

Started by Fulvio, September 02, 2016, 04:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fulvio



The easy indicators here are under the leftmost claw of the left front foot, and in the curve of the rear foot left of the 5.




Overlaying the obverse in a merged image indicates there should be plenty of obverse damage too...



And sure enough, here's the bridge of the nose, and a couple of spines below the nose. Also note the fat lettering.



And more doubling around the face, and another bit of clash under the neck,





And finally in the lettering. Also note the double rim. A lot of these coins have either full or partial double rims on one or both sides.

http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

ausjack

Nice :good:
Now for just a little stir :blush2:
Well it's about bloody time you started to actually look at your coins, amazing what you find when you look ey :winkextra:
I have a few die clashes, rim cuds and other errors so one day I'll sort them into different groups as I have 4 of those little bank bags chocka full of 5 cent errors.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96567' dateline='1472765237'I have a few die clashes, rim cuds and other errors so one day I'll sort them into different groups as I have 4 of those little bank bags chocka full of 5 cent errors.

HA! I DO look at them. And then I make piles. And when the piles fall over I fill tubs. And stack them. And then I forget them. Every so often I look at a stack and think I should sort them and move them to secure storage, and then I think this is all too hard... and anyway, there are more stacks to deal with by then. :dodgy:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

ausjack

Mate I hear ya as I have the "all too hard" bouts all the time. Just having a bit of a very rough sort and found 6 die clash, no SD and a few faint one's and an upset 1979 and a few other bits and pieces I'd forgotten I had.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

ausjack

I've taken a few pic's but they're different years and all just the reverse one's :) Sorry they're not so good but hard to get good pic's as you have to take them at different angles.
1987

2004

2005

2006

2009



2010


A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

trout

Absolutely nothing wrong with those in-mages Mate ;good:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

ausjack

Nah they aren't too bad but could be better and would have been better if I could have got all the marks in one shot instead of having to take a few pic's but ya get that on the big jobs :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96778' dateline='1472868932'1998


I'd call that as a double error. Those look like cuds on the right. Maybe the impact shook a bit of the die loose? :)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

tania

These look great. Thanks for sharing.

ausjack

I take it it's some part of the hair Fulvio as it's a die clash mark like on the 2009 and 2010 and NOT a cud, and it might look different because the die might have rotated slightly and also the angle I've taken the pic.

Thank tania and not a problem, gives you an idea of what and where to look for things like die clash :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96794' dateline='1472873425'I take it it's some part of the hair

Nope. If you look at the overlay, the foot is in the middle of the hair, which is incused. There's nothing on the obverse die to hit in that area. That applies even with the counterclockwise rotation that moved the bridge of the nose down on the left.

I'm still calling it a second error mate. :)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

ausjack

Yeah, ever thought your overlay might be slightly out :P It is a die clash it is it is it is :cray: Here's a few more pic's where it has that funny wavy bit like her hair and it's not a cud either :(




As you can see it is incused.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='96803' dateline='1472875660'Yeah, ever thought your overlay might be slightly out



As you can see it is incused.

Out? NEVER!!! I'll see you and your second on the field of honour, sir!

Yeah, OK, those pics are better... I'd still like to know what it hit though... can you find a matching bit of the obverse field?
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

ausjack

Ok I will see you on the field of honour, squire :P Where I will kick you square in the nuts :D
Ok we both stuffed up but I was more right than you :winkextra: If you look at the date (that I have now amended) from 1998 to what it actually is 1987, you will see it's a different effigy with a smaller head than your overlay so even though I had the wrong date it's still the same effigy so you were wrong so now I shall wait patiently for my apology because it is her hair  :blush2: :angel:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW