2016 Coins Found in Circulation

Started by Nevol, February 29, 2016, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ausjack

Nice, I usually find one 72 in a $100 bag and I don't expect to find any 2016's for a long time yet.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Hercules

It was a nice surprise, considering that the first 132 rolls (worth $264) I noodled between March and July this year didn't have any, and the last 12 rolls I noodled in July this year only had one. I thought I'd have to go through another 144 rolls in order to find another, but I was too lazy to do that, so I stopped noodling 5c coins for a while. Then I decided to have another go today to look for 2016s, but I got two 1972s instead. I'm tempted to try my luck again tomorrow, because there could be more waiting for me in the machine. :drooling:

Hercules

The standard (non-commemorative) 2016 50c has just surfaced in my part of Brisbane. I'm still waiting for the bank to get more rolls in so I can verify this for myself, but they appear to be doing the rounds in the local shops.

EDIT: I just finished noodling another batch of 5c, 20c, and 50c coins, and the only 2016s were the 50c changeover ones. I'm really getting sick of waiting for all the other coins to arrive, so I might have to ask the mint why they think coin collectors don't live in Brisbane. :dash1:




Quote from: 'kanjoe07' pid='96299' dateline='1472617227'Found 3 standard 2016 50c pieces in the last week in Perth. Tempted to open up the bags I got from the RAM and release the Changeover 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c and $1 into circulation so everyone can finally enjoy...

That's why they make us pay for postage for each bag. It stops us from speeding up the process.

trout

With all the different coins released this year for circulation I am guessing that one or two of them will be a low mintage year for that particular denomination.
Any guesses which it is going to Be ??
I am thinking that the standard $2 or the Changeover $2 may be one of them due to the number of coloured coins that have been produced for the Olympics.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Ozcoins

Quote from: 'trout' pid='97816' dateline='1473713148'With all the different coins released this year for circulation I am guessing that one or two of them will be a low mintage year for that particular denomination.
Any guesses which it is going to Be ??
I am thinking that the standard $2 or the Changeover $2 may be one of them due to the number of coloured coins that have been produced for the Olympics.

Hi Trout,
I was thinking almost exactly the same thing.
There are so many that it seems likely there will not be heaps of all of them.
I have not managed to come to a conclusion on with might be low mintage as it does not usually seem to follow what I think would make sense.

Hercules

I think we should work the other way, by starting with a list of 2016 coins that definitely won't be low mintage, starting with the changeover 50c. As more and more 2016 coins emerge, we'll add the ones that are very common across all of the major capital cities. Any coin that doesn't make it onto the list is potentially low mintage, and should be hoarded. :winkextra:

Mister T

I got two plain $2 coins the other day.

frenc11

i have only got 2016 fifty cent pieces in change so far

yz00672001

I live in Melbourne. Apart from 5c, I've seen all the regular ones.

trout

I got my second 2016 coin today and it is also a non commemorative 50c that is pretty well circulated.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Nevol

I've recently received a 2016 10c, normal Lyrebird type, in change but it's got a fair amount of road rash. Yuk!
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Hercules

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='98516' dateline='1474507728'I've recently received a 2016 10c, normal Lyrebird type, in change but it's got a fair amount of road rash. Yuk!

I'm pretty much over 2016-dated coins. Every time someone finds one in circulation, I get all excited and go on a massive noodling spree, but I still haven't found anything other than the Changeover 50c (x69), the Standard $2 (x1), and the Woollies Olympic $2 coins (x3).

As such, I think we should have a rule that says you can't claim a newly-released coin is circulating in your area until you've found it a certain number of times, say 5 or 10, in order to ensure that it really is circulating and you haven't just stumbled across the remains of a busted-up mint set.

Otherwise, you're just sending us all on a wild goose chase for a coin that hasn't been released, when we'd be better off searching for something truly special, like a wavy, incuse or mule. :ok:

Noelos237

I have found 1x changeover 50c, 1x normal $1, 1x normal $2, 1x normal 10c and 3x olympic $2 (green, yellow, black).
Noel

Hercules

I'm now up to 5 of the Standard $2 coin. Clearly, it is the second circulating 2016 coin to hit Brisbane in large numbers, after the Changeover 50c. This, of course, excludes the Woollies coins, which were distributed evenly across the country.

Fulvio

Picked up a sack of 2016 standard 20ยข at a Bank of Melbourne today. I was chasing old $5 (which they tell me they are actively withdrawing and sending for destruction) in the hopes of 2014/2015, and when they told me they'd sent them off this morning, I asked for coins instead. $100 sack of 20's and a ten bags of dollars to noodle. YAY!
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW