New $5 note

Started by jens coins, February 11, 2016, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kanjoe07

I set up a banknote exchange at the school I teach today. Started with 100 new fivers and I'm down to the last six with some students exchanging up to $20 worth and spending it at canteen or the local shops. Good to see them spreading quickly.
\"It\'s like you want us to make fun of you\" - Barney Stinson on Canadian money

robbiegal

i suspect a lot of shops may very well be suspicious of them!!

i grabbed a couple of the information flyers about them as well when i got my $50 worth
got them in an envelope - don't really know what to do with them

your students know that they are money for sure!

kanjoe07

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='97122' dateline='1473141870'i suspect a lot of shops may very well be suspicious of them!!

i grabbed a couple of the information flyers about them as well when i got my $50 worth
got them in an envelope - don't really know what to do with them

your students know that they are money for sure!

It seems the shops in Perth I've been to so far have been quite aware of the new notes and there's always been some excitement or hilarity at the time of transaction. It's probably because nothing much exciting happens here haha.

I spent a lesson teaching them about the history of Australia's currency and they've been into it all for the last couple of months, especially chasing the Olympic $2 coins. I hope they carry that interest forward.
\"It\'s like you want us to make fun of you\" - Barney Stinson on Canadian money

robbiegal

that is great
i was never aware of the range of types in our currency until one year my son gave me a fifty cent folder for mothers day
empty mind you
i then proceeded to spend a small fortune at the local coin shop and ebay filling it with unc coins!

i was hooked and proceeded to get a 20c and a $1 folders

now the mint has new folders for the sets and some of the coins are quite scarce to get these days

tooloot

I think I've figured out how the serial numbers of these notes have been distributed to banks. After my 3rd visit to the same bank (Westpac), I received the same lots of serial numbers within 1,000 (first 4 digits staying the same, last 3 digits changing) but changing prefixes. By this logic, the banks likely receive 1,000 notes from each prefix (or thereabouts). So any bank could have the AA prefix by that logic (although I haven't found any yet).

Fulvio

Quote from: 'tooloot' pid='97132' dateline='1473147201'So any bank could have the AA prefix by that logic (although I haven't found any yet).

The sheets are counted in blocks of 100. Then they're cut into strips of ten. Then the strips are cut into bundles of 100 and strapped. The bundles go into blocks of 5, and two of those are shrinkwrapped, to make 1,000 notes.

This is where it gets tricky though. Yes, the sheet numbers should all be the same, and the prefixes should be all different. So ten prefixes and 100 serials. BUT there are no guarantees. That was the whole point when they changed the system and dropped the star notes after all. :angel:

Rinse and repeat for each block of 100 sheets, so there will be what, 100,000 bundles of AA's spread across the country probably.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

JeffH

Funny how a lot of 'AA' notes appear on eBay as soon as they are released.
This sort of thing seems to happen frequently with new coin releases* and, often, same sellers.

:shok: I am sure it must just be a coincidence. :shok:


* Sometimes even before they are released.
It's Magic!
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='97137' dateline='1473149117'Funny how a lot of 'AA' notes appear on eBay as soon as they are released.

Not that funny really. If you identify a high-volume branch which gets notes in bulk, you could either grab 4 packs ($20,000), pull the AA bundle and cash in the rest, or sweet talk a teller to grab that bundle and put it aside for you.

The hard part is being in the right place at the right time. I tripped over a couple of packs on Friday, but they refused to let go of any bundles at all, and would have opened them and stuffed them all in their machines by now. :(
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

robbiegal

i have an AA 2012 $50 note circulated but not too scrappy (gotten from a teller machine last week)
is that worth anything?

are AA's really worth a lot in the long run?

ps
Are BB's worth anything?
I have 10 $5 BB's

kchan1111

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='97154' dateline='1473158985'i have an AA 2012 $50 note circulated but not too scrappy (gotten from a teller machine last week)
is that worth anything?

are AA's really worth a lot in the long run?


ps
Are BB's worth anything?
I have 10 $5 BB's

How come your ATMs spits out $5? All the ones I used only have $20 and $50.

ausproofs

Quote from: 'kchan1111' pid='97156' dateline='1473159852'
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='97154' dateline='1473158985'i have an AA 2012 $50 note circulated but not too scrappy (gotten from a teller machine last week)
is that worth anything?

are AA's really worth a lot in the long run?


ps
Are BB's worth anything?
I have 10 $5 BB's

How come your ATMs spits out $5? All the ones I used only have $20 and $50.

She said $50.. not $5 ...:winkextra:
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...

kchan1111

Quote from: 'ausproofs' pid='97160' dateline='1473160771'
Quote from: 'kchan1111' pid='97156' dateline='1473159852'
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='97154' dateline='1473158985'i have an AA 2012 $50 note circulated but not too scrappy (gotten from a teller machine last week)
is that worth anything?

are AA's really worth a lot in the long run?


ps
Are BB's worth anything?
I have 10 $5 BB's

How come your ATMs spits out $5? All the ones I used only have $20 and $50.

She said $50.. not $5 ...:winkextra:

:blush: ok that makes sense....:laugh2:

robbiegal

Ok
so we have clarified it's a 50

is it worth a mint?

ausjack

I'd say no being 2012 and also depending on if anyone wants one you might get a couple of dollars above face other wise you'll have to live a long time for them to be worth anything and that's why I gave the notes away and also because it doesn't take long and you can have a grand sitting there. The first couple of years of issue are worth a little but the younger the note the longer it takes for it to gain any value. Just my thoughts :angel:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

robbiegal

aww
so i should just spend it at woolies on an olympics bag then? if the brats ever darn well give me one!!