Becoming a Non-Smoker

Started by Nevol, May 06, 2015, 07:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nevol

This is based on my personal experience, going from 30+ a-day to 0 a-day.

In 1993 I was going into Hospital for a very minor op, but would be under general anaesthetic. I had to quit smoking for a couple days, so I decided it was time to quit permanently.

I took all the ciggies I had left, cut them into tiny pieces over the rubbish bin, and that was that.  Later on I realised that for me, the hardest part of quitting was making the decision, and if I had only realised that I would have quit many years earlier.  

I never had withdrawal symptoms, and was never tempted to go back to my old habit.  Now I will sometimes cross the street to avoid walking past a smoker, or hold my breath until I am out of range of the horrible smell.

I recently told my sister that the things she smokes smell like they've been evacuated from the rear end of a Camel. Absolutely putrid.  

Many smokers don't realise that their clothes take on the stench and it can linger on their body, in their car and in their house, so that any non-smokers entering those places are assaulted by it.

If I had realised that I was inflicting this stench on people I love or those around me, I would have taken steps many years earlier to alleviate their suffering at my expense.

I saw this sign in Take Away Shop,

"Thank you for Not Smoking. Cigarette smoke is the residue of your pleasure. It contaminates the air, pollutes my hair and clothes, not to mention my lungs. This takes place without my consent. I have a pleasure, also. I like a wine now and then. The residue of my pleasure is urine. Would you be annoyed if I stood on a chair and pissed on your head and your clothes without your consent?"
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Basil

Well done,most people find it extremely hard to quit.
I used to go on a Monthly Golf trip to the Gold Coast courses with 3 mates,i don't smoke but two of them did and its amazing how long the smell lingers in the car,even with air freshners you can smell it for weeks.
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

Oldcoinchest

Good on you for quiting and with not looking back. Effects your health so much and its not easy to quit. Until I become like you and just made a decision not to do it. Its been about a year this time and no withdrawals or cravings even if I have a few drinks. Get your head focussed and don't look back.
Your right about peoples lack of awareness, I was a generally conscious of others smoker. But cant look down on them because I know I was one. I just wish my brother would quit. I did it for 15 years and he must be over 20 years now. I hate hearing that smokers cough.
May your coin searches be fun and your gradings true

Coiny Chris

Hello,

Reminds me of something, 9 out of 10 smokers who have tried Camels prefer Women.....  I went for a Camel ride in Alice many years ago, and I think there are many People that small worse than Camels.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

robbiegal


Coiny Chris

A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausjack

:laugh2: man now that's funny, you pair crack me up :friends:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

An old joke, with a play on words.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

ausjack

The first part is an old joke RG, then Chris was saying he's been for a camel ride and made a little fudge and small should have been smell, so was saying some people smell worse than camels..I hope I got that right, did I Chirs :)
Then you asked him to say "what" so he did, say "what", sorry I just found it all tickled my fancy a little :)

:dash1: I was too slow as usual..sorry Chris.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

The 1st part is an old joke, the 2nd a fact. I did go on a Camel ride, Acacia was her name, very nice natured animal. After the ride I has some Date ice cream. Let us not take that out of context.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

robbiegal

Quote from: 'Coiny Chris' pid='71880' dateline='1430897514'Hello,

Reminds me of something, 9 out of 10 smokers who have tried Camels prefer Women.....  I went for a Camel ride in Alice many years ago, and I think there are many People that small worse than Camels.

maybe you meant to say  think there are many People that smell worse than Camels. ?

not so sure about the bestiality joke but what ever tickles ya fancy

stevo1962

Luckily I never needed to smoke but I can imagine what the cost would have been to my health and my pocket if I had
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

Goldseeker

I went cold turkey many years ago and drove everyone up the wall.

Then I spoke to a person from the Quit Line and everything I said to her that I was going through.

Her next words were "Welcome to giving up smoking".

It was like a ten ton weight lifted off my shoulders.

I have never smoked since, will not allow smoking in my house or property, not allow smoking in my car and me car came with no ashtrays, beauty I can't stand the smell of ex smokers near me.

They have always said that ex smokers are the worst complainers but I don't mind.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Basil

A couple of years ago now but my Mother had a fall and was admitted to Lismore Base Hospital,there is only Timed parking there now so after an Hour(2 hours?) i returned to the car to try and get another spot while i waited for my Sister.
There was an endless, regular, parade of people going outside to smoke,amongst them were elderly,for the most part,patients confined to Wheelchairs with Nurses pushing them so they could have a smoke.Many had O2 bottles on the chairs  and took off their masks,had a puff,put the mask back on,off for another puff etc,real gut wrenching stuff.
Nurse told me later that many wear the Nicotine patches that the the Hospital provides but still have a uncontrolable urge to have a Cig. in their Mouth.

Stay strong Trout...........
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

kchan1111

Just think of all the coins you can buy with the money wasted on smokes as extra encouragement.