Becoming a Non-Smoker

Started by Nevol, May 06, 2015, 07:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

Without trying to Hijack this thread further, I posted an old joke and made a Typo. No hidden meaning. ( the grammar would be wrong for anything else ? ) I thought our friend in Hospital may have a chuckle remembering an old joke with some relevance. The old term of phrase " 3 Dog night " means to me it is so cold you need to have 3 Dogs to keep you warm. Nothing more. Many of the old Aussie terms of phrase are disappearing, I wish they weren't.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

Nevol

Quote from: 'Basil' pid='71918' dateline='1430914864'A couple of years ago now but my Mother had a fall and was admitted to Lismore Base Hospital,there is only Timed parking there now so after an Hour(2 hours?) i returned to the car to try and get another spot while i waited for my Sister.
There was an endless, regular, parade of people going outside to smoke,amongst them were elderly,for the most part,patients confined to Wheelchairs with Nurses pushing them so they could have a smoke.Many had O2 bottles on the chairs  and took off their masks,had a puff,put the mask back on,off for another puff etc,real gut wrenching stuff.
Nurse told me later that many wear the Nicotine patches that the the Hospital provides but still have a uncontrolable urge to have a Cig. in their Mouth.
Stay strong Trout...........
This still goes on, but I think the Hospitals have taken away the Nurses as companions.

Becoming a non-smoker is all a case of mind over matter.  Once the decision is made, no relying on a 'crutch' will help, you need to say, to hell with it all, I'm a stronger person than all this BS of patches etc.  I will never ever smoke again.  

There is a fortune to be saved as ciggies are a very expensive habit nowadays. Thinking of all the extra coins to be bought is a great way to look at it.

If I owned a business, there's no way I would ever employ a smoker. The habit must now cost employers a fortune every day, as no matter where you go there is always a group of smokers lingering on the footpath.  Think of all that lost production time!

For trout, the fact that you've gone this far is an indication that you will be 100% successful in your quest. Just keep saying to yourself, "I am now a non smoker & I don't need the filthy things".
You can do it!
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Ozcoins

Good on you Trout.
Stay strong.
I hear that your sense of taste and smell improves,  so you will enjoy other things more too.
Stay off them and the accident may well result in you living longer!

autocoupler

After many attempts to give the sigs up over a 20+ year period, what I think did it for me in the end was witnessing many desperado's being forced to leave their place of work and many public areas to sneak a siggy out on the footpath or around the corner. Anyhow, in 1992 on the 23rd April for whatever reason I gave it another try and haven't wavered since. Will never forget the date as we had tickets to see Neil Diamond and had my last puff on the front verandah as we left.

Haven't saved a cent though, just spent it on the mortgage. :yahoo:
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

Ozcoins

Quote from: 'autocoupler' pid='71955' dateline='1430969027'just spent it on the mortgage. :yahoo:

In that case you have saved double!
The money you would have spent on cigarettes has been better spent and saved you ingest on the mortgage as well!

autocoupler

No doubt the benefits of quitting goes a little further than the mortgage, and would include all the daily expenses of raising a family, not to mention the high cost of health care. It's probably a selfish and inconsiderate act to ingest any substance for personal gratification at the expense of more important responsibilities. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a reformed whatever to actually appreciate this point. :dash1::dead_horse:
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

robbiegal

Quote from: 'Coiny Chris' pid='71936' dateline='1430939527'Hello,

Without trying to Hijack this thread further, I posted an old joke and made a Typo. No hidden meaning. ( the grammar would be wrong for anything else ? ) I thought our friend in Hospital may have a chuckle remembering an old joke with some relevance. The old term of phrase " 3 Dog night " means to me it is so cold you need to have 3 Dogs to keep you warm. Nothing more. Many of the old Aussie terms of phrase are disappearing, I wish they weren't.

No worries Chris.  I didn't really get the joke but when you are a woman then often they don't seem as funny as how the blokes see it. I am sure trout is ok about it. I'd pull up my old man about a joke like that. And yeah camel cigarettes used to be popular and I even used to smoke them myself. Thought I'd heard nearly all the camel jokes til now! Cheers we just gotta show respect to our women and it starts way down here in how we don't treat women like fools or playthings to ridicule.  I have been a public bar barmaid but even back then the men would be careful about what they said within earshot of the bar maids.  Probably because they really wanted to get their beers to drink and not wear ha ha but the bottom line was that they'd show the ladies respect.

Goldseeker

I did exactly the same.

I had a mortgage and put the monies I usually spent on a carton of smokes, I put it to the mortgage repayments.

Bingo, the mortgage was cleared well in advance and I haven't looked back since.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Triggersmob

My missus gave up smoking about 2 1/2 years ago. We haven't saved a cent either. She spends it all on cruises now and drags me along. I guess someone has to do it. Keep it up Trout, it's well worth it. :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

trout

day 7 still NO ciggies yet :yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Nevol

Quote from: 'trout' pid='72017' dateline='1431042600'day 7 still NO ciggies yet :yahoo:
Mate, it's all over bar the shouting! :yahoo: :yahoo:  Your should be starting to notice a bit of difference in things now. Sense of taste and smell to name just a couple. :wavemulticolor:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

stevo1962

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='72020' dateline='1431043640'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='72017' dateline='1431042600'day 7 still NO ciggies yet :yahoo:
Mate, it's all over bar the shouting! :yahoo: :yahoo:  Your should be starting to notice a bit of difference in things now. Sense of taste and smell to name just a couple. :wavemulticolor:

Even the hospital food would be tasting OK
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

Ozcoins


Triggersmob

Quote from: 'stevo1962' pid='72034' dateline='1431059035'Even the hospital food would be tasting OK

Now come on, let's not go overboard.  :)
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Nevol

How're you going with this trout?
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)