Quality of 2x2

Started by mkonst, January 27, 2015, 01:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Goldseeker

For Robster:   The descriptive sign, how do you store that flap with your coin?

Do you fold that flap down so it covers one side of the flapped coin  or do you leave the flap up?
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Fulvio

Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='66192' dateline='1422431482'how do you store that flap with your coin?

They have two pockets. One for the coin, one the card. Like so:



If you fold them and put them in an album, they're even almost airtight.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

robbiegal

my hubby stores them like that - he seals the coin side and leaves the flip unfolded - he keeps those ones in old coin boxes

stevo1962

Quote from: 'Robster' pid='66123' dateline='1422405254'I made the decision to utilise saflips and polypropylene pages for my pre decimal varieties for a number of reasons.
The coin can be viewed from both sides untouched.!
The coin can be removed easily for closer inspection or capturing an image.!
The P.P. Albums store well and hold about 360 pennies in comfort.!
The 'saflip' allows the coin to be housed in one side and a description note to be inserted in the other side.!


Just my 2 pence worth. :idea:

Robster you could be mistaken for a perfectionist
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

Robster

Most of my efforts are assisted by Mrs. Robster who designed the excel pro forma for the labels. Printed on archive quality card and neatly guillotined by 'moi'. "Team effort". :sun_bespectacled:
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

Basil

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='66136' dateline='1422412610'
Quote from: 'Basil' pid='66125' dateline='1422405659'...black(ish) stain in the shape of the tongue that had been tucked in.

The discolouration was under the tongue, or around it? The pouch isn't airtight, airborne contaminants can get to the coin, just like a burst 2x2. Can't see how the plastic itself would cause any sort of reaction though, unless there was something on the tongue, like sweat for example.

And I still maintain sealing Saflips negates their advantages. And its expensive. Use PP film or A4 pages, which give identical results at a tiny fraction of the cost.

I think its the material used in the pouch Fulvio,not all plastic type holders are friendly to coins and the type causing the problem were the ones with the 'tuck in tongue'.I'm surprised others on this Forum haven't found coins affected by this as i've seen it regulary for 20 years,it varies from the tongue outline on the coin in the link in my post to the whole area stained. However there may be other factors at work,oil/sweat  from handling the coin,previous cleaning chemicals on coin itself,but whatever it is its reacting with the tongue of the plastic holder but not the inside of the square holder itself.I've got some pictures of the affected Ebay coins i purchased some years back on my old XP computer so if i can find them i will post.
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

Cooper S

ive noticed that if you gradually squeeze the air out as you seal the self adhesive you wont have any trouble with them parting down the track only in my opinion
\"Its only worth how much you want it.\"

runway

It's important whichever way we all store our coins that they are protected and sealed off from environment conditions. Self Adhesive mylars are ok and Lighthouse are the best
Buy what gives you enjoyment

czark

I have been very happy with the saflips. I store them in P.P folders in a cool dry place and since 2013 all coins that were placed in there remain the same. I wont be going back to regular 2x2's.

Goldseeker

czark:   Can you show us how you store your Saflap coin into the PP folders please.

I have two of PPH albums and plenty of sapflaps but not sure which way to go..

Thanks in advance
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


nealeffendi

Quote from: 'czark' pid='66892' dateline='1423748544'I have been very happy with the saflips. I store them in P.P folders in a cool dry place and since 2013 all coins that were placed in there remain the same. I wont be going back to regular 2x2's.
Ditto

mkonst

I've tried 2 main brands now and have quickly learnt which one is better.

It mainly comes down to the glue used and also on how easy it is to get the plastic off the glue to use them.

I will be recommending Lighthouse 2x2's over the other brand, which I don't really want to mention, let's call it type R, hint hint.

Type R didn't really stick together well at all and needed more pressure applied several times to get a decent stick. The pity is that I purchase 3 boxes of type R.

I'll have to send these back to the shop, if it's not to late.

czark

Sure thing Goldy. I'll take some photos to post soon.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'czark' pid='67121' dateline='1424091934'Sure thing Goldy. I'll take some photos to post soon.

+/u/dogetipbot DUTR3XG63McbHKA5CMYtH27zEGpzzt2dNW 100 doge

...Oh, wait.. :diablo:
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

czark

Some snaps as promised using my phone as I don't have access to the SLR atm.

One day I'll actually get to printing proper coin info like Robster did for now all the pages are blank.



Bottom ends slide into pages with saflip openings on the inside of the fold.