Quality of 2x2

Started by mkonst, January 27, 2015, 01:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

Most of my collection is still in 2x2's , the reasoning is that I have sent a few coins stored that way and they have come back from PCGS as PR70DCAM :ok:
What I don't like in the saflips is that the coin doesn't stay correctly orientated in the album , I just hate that :dodgy::angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

robbiegal

your album looks great czark

purplepennyhunter

Yes the album looks great. Well protected coins and great to look at. Makes me want to go and have a browse through my own albums -they look just like that!!!
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

ausjack

Only thing with the big folders is that the coins drop out so you have to make sure you don't tilt them forward where the small one's have the little flap that holds the coin nice and like trout said the flips are ok but coins move in them so a bit of a pain sometimes but all in all one of the better set ups and PVC free so that's the main thing to me.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Goldseeker

Thanks for the photos.

Have you sealed the edge of the top of of saflap so the coin will not fall out?
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


robbiegal

the whole flip slips out of the page goldie

I have had the same problem myself and have frequently been searching under furniture for runaway flips - keeping the album upright at all times is a must

I think it is because the actual 2x2 sleeve section is just a tad wide - doesn't break easily but the downside is that the flips then slide out easily

Fulvio

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='67372' dateline='1424491530'I have had the same problem myself and have frequently been searching under furniture for runaway flips - keeping the album upright at all times is a must

Dead simple fix for this.

Lay a calico bank bag over the pages and inside the covers. The weight of the coins will keep it in place, and there's no way for the little buggers to escape. Plus it helps keep dust at bay as well.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

purplepennyhunter

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='67372' dateline='1424491530'the whole flip slips out of the page goldie


That's what the slipcover is for. If a 2x2 comes out form it's pocket it's still in there and not lost down the back of the cupboard or wherever.


Doesn't happen with the mini album because of the flaps. We did the flaps because the album doesn't have a complete cover and a flip could potentially be lost
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

robbiegal

yeah guys I know all that
not s sure about a calico bag fulvio - I think that would sort of defeat the purpose of having the album in the first place

I was just supporting AJ's comments with his description

but in my experience with the albums it is when the slipcover is off/ coming off , that if the album gets a wobble - coins can go aflay

I have had pp albums for a long time & it is my only criticism

the album and sleeve is perfect for the slab pages

Goldseeker

Once the album has been put into it's slip case, do you store the album in a vertical/long side up or long side on the shelf so that the album pages hang down with the weight of the pages on the hinges.

I have many albums with plastic pages that stand up and there is quite a bit of strain on the top two hinges and at times, the top hole actually breaks.

I have two of PPH's albums and saflaps ready to go, so the information will eventually be used.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


trout

Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='67434' dateline='1424585207'Once the album has been put into it's slip case, do you store the album in a vertical/long side up or long side on the shelf so that the album pages hang down with the weight of the pages on the hinges.

I have many albums with plastic pages that stand up and there is quite a bit of strain on the top two hinges and at times, the top hole actually breaks.

I have two of PPH's albums and saflaps ready to go, so the information will eventually be used.

Always lay your albums flat, NO strain on the hinges and NO chance of the coins dropping into the glue on the 2x2's :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

robbiegal

everyone is different - most of my albums are stored upright
and yep the seams break too (non PP albums those ones)
the hubby only stores his albums laying flat and they never break like how mine do - so there is something to Trout's advice

ps the finger grips in the PP albums are excellent as well

purplepennyhunter

Yes, agreed, all of ours stack flat.

Just some dollars....
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Goldseeker

Thanks one and all for all your inputs on the many questions I have asked re the PPH albums etc.

I shall now try and absorb what has been posted and work something out for myself.

I can see PPH's photo of her storage but wouldn't the pressure of so many albums on top of one another cause some sort of damage to the lower stored coins?

Futher, does anyone use silica gel to absorb moisture if albums are stored in cupboard etc?
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


runway

Always place coin albums so the pages hang down from hinges not on top of themselves
Buy what gives you enjoyment