Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Granny Bait

(03-08-2013, 01:04 PM)MobOfRoos Wrote:
(22-07-2013, 03:28 PM)Fulvio Wrote: AgreedNCLT is never going to be anything but a losing proposition for most buyers. Therefore it is best avoided entirely. If a particular item appeals, buy it because you like it, but consider it a consumable, not an investment.

Agreed

I remember a few posters on CCF telling us how they bought Perth Mint products and sold them immediately at a profit.
I don't know whether these posters were on the Perth Mint payroll or whether they were just trying to impress us Dodgy . If true then they are really just a pyramid scheme. Eventually someone is left holding a coin worth a fraction of what they paid for it. After all, in 10 years time who will remember or care what NCLT was released in 2013.

I'm with Fulvio. I only buy NCLT if it is specifically something that interests me and I certainly would never consider it as an investment.

ALL my Grannybait silver coins and sets have been bought "After market" 99% of which I purchased for Less than the issue price Yahoo

Most of my "grannybait" coins ARE an investment in Silver for Me and I simply buy what appeals to me and at about melt price is good. Ok
All my Grannybait stuff has cost me about $25 per oz so far and If I keep buying at the moment at about $20-$22 per oz that average will come down.
I have no intention of "Cashing In" the silver for at least 10 years and will do so then after I finally get to Burn my workboots and retire.
They will provide a great pool of "Beer/Fishing money" for me at that stage.Angel
It is nice to have a few kilos of silver in interesting coins rather than in lumps of metal as in bars for this purpose .
Just a way for me to save without the government knowing what I have and taking their cut.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

(03-08-2013, 01:48 PM)trout Wrote: Just a way for me to save without the government knowing what I have and taking their cut.

Not sure I would have said that in a public thread, but yeah, its hard to go wrong when buying at intrinsic value, or close to. Its the people buying at issue price, many times that value that I feel sorry for.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

(03-08-2013, 05:07 PM)Fulvio Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 01:48 PM)trout Wrote: Just a way for me to save without the government knowing what I have and taking their cut.

Not sure I would have said that in a public thread, but yeah, its hard to go wrong when buying at intrinsic value, or close to. Its the people buying at issue price, many times that value that I feel sorry for.

Agreed
Putting my view in the public section was intentional , Good advice is Good advice whichever section posted in , Be it the Members section or Public Ok
Most of the Aussie "Grannybait" or Bullion coins are manufactured to a far better standard than the US and Canadian counterparts and that is why I concentrate on these as a Silver Stash idea.
At the end of the day they WILL have a premium over Melt simply because of the quality of the coins Ok
If the RAM or Perth Mint are serious about Marketing Bullion then you would think that they would lower the premium to make them more attractive instead of trying to bleed the uneducated collector/investor.
The Canadians especially buy the Grannybait simply to value add on the market.
I would like to assume that us Aussie collectors are smarter than that and pick these pieces up a few years later at a price that is value for money instead of that BS Yahoo

This has been a most fun thread to read for a beginner. I think, unfortunately, that a lot of people got interested probably because of some commemorative design that they saw.

I must admit... :Blush: that it was this coin for me.

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/2014-1-Silve...10332.aspx

Would all NCLT coin be considered grannybait and best avoided? Particularly you are most likely to buy it at much cheaper price some years later when the fad dies down?

(11-06-2014, 09:39 PM)kchan1111 Wrote: This has been a most fun thread to read for a beginner. I think, unfortunately, that a lot of people got interested probably because of some commemorative design that they saw.

I must admit... :Blush: that it was this coin for me.

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/2014-1-Silve...10332.aspx

Would all NCLT coin be considered grannybait and best avoided? Particularly you are most likely to buy it at much cheaper price some years later when the fad dies down?

I actually "Dumped" most of my grannybait before the silver price turned to mush and made a modest profit.
However I myself bought this coin, Not as an investment but because I am an avid 25mm dollar coin collector and this is an astonishingly nice coin.
I have even sent it away with some of my regular dollar coins to be graded and slabbed by PCGS Good

(11-06-2014, 10:29 PM)trout Wrote: I have even sent it away with some of my regular dollar coins to be graded and slabbed by PCGS Good

That's passion.

I am not really looking to invest in silver through coins. After all, you can just buy silver ETF on stock exchange, can't you? I just hate the idea of sucked into buying something worthless or tacky. Dodgy

I don't think this is a "tacky" coin it is well minted , has an iconic design and to feel in hand is fantastic.
I love the piedfort type coins for their heft and feel .
But at $100 a pop for an ounce of silver that is less than $19 us an ounce at the moment .
It's your call Mate Smile

No that one is not tacky. I think the VC silver coin looks kind of nice too. Smile Yeah it seems rather pricey. I guess they want to make $$$.

It wasn't until 2 weeks ago that I discovered that there are "coloured" coins. Tongue Can't say I like them very much. Feels "undignified".

Stick to annual mint sets can't go wrong
Buy what gives you enjoyment

Came across this... thought it was a very nice design. Should I feel shame finding it attractive?

GB 2014 £5 Prince George 1st Birthday Silver Proof

[Image: 30062014113836.jpg]

[Image: 30062014113847.jpg]