Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Granny Bait

For some strange reason, I have a weird affection for the subscription coin series. I guess the bespoke mintage process was what caught me. I was a little surprised that they didn't do better.

I wonder what would happen if the RAM adopted the same bespoke minting process, but applied it to a standard 50c or $1 (as opposed to the enlarged $1) with a commemorative design?

Here are another couple Ok

[Image: osa.jpg]

[Image: os.jpg]

[Image: os1.jpg]

[Image: os1a.jpg]
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

(22-07-2013, 11:42 AM)coxspau Wrote: ...I wonder what would happen if the RAM adopted the same bespoke minting process...

The result would be the same. The problem is not so much the product itself, or the way its marketed, but rather the high proportion of profiteers vs genuine collectors. These people inflate the numbers so they can make a quick profit, and the oversupply guarantees everyone else is then looking at a loss as prices collapse. The aftermarket never expands, because there is a constant stream of new product to satisfy the novices, and "real" collectors are unlikely to be interested.

NCLT is never going to be anything but a losing proposition for most buyers. Therefore it is best avoided entirely. If a particular item appeals, buy it because you like it, but consider it a consumable, not an investment.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

As I have yet to purchase any coins or notes from the RAM for 2013, this dose of realism is doing very little for my ordering process.....

(22-07-2013, 05:00 PM)coxspau Wrote: ...this dose of realism is doing very little for my ordering process.....

Think of any bubble that's ever occurred. Tech, Housing, Stock Market, myriad collectibles...

Did those who got out early suffer more or less than those who stuck around till the bitter end?

Trinkets made for collectors are not real collectibles. Like junk bonds, forestry plantations or dotcom wannabes, they are designed to entice people to throw away amounts far in excess of any potential returns. ALL the profit is taken out by the promoters, and the "investor" is left with an empty shell and long-term regrets.

There are far better places to put our efforts than this junk, no matter how pretty or "innovative" it may be.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Quote:There are far better places to put our efforts than this junk, no matter how pretty or "innovative" it may be.

Agreed

I already put my efforts elsewhere and on many different planes of this hobby Ok
There is nothing like a little bit of indulgence tho, It is Good for the soul Mate Angel
Lots of these pieces are simply a high priced silver round But they can be "Eye Candy" and interesting, If these are bought purely as an investment then tears WILL follow ( Same as just about any other coin).
These are just nice to look at and a little bit of an indulgence and quite frankly I quite like the things.
It is like ANY other coin, IF you are collecting purely with the view of investing then you are deluded because in reality there are far better investments to put your money in Ok
I collect purely for my own selfish enjoyment and that in itself is a worthwhile investment Dance2
IF at the end of the day I or my kids get a windfall, Then that is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.
"Each to their own Mate " Angel

(21-07-2013, 08:12 PM)trout Wrote: At the moment the spot price makes this a $195.30 coin.
Ah Well Mate as they say in the Star Wars movies "Live long and prosper" AngelLaugh2

I believe it's Star Trek not Star Wars

(23-07-2013, 09:37 AM)jozk123 Wrote:
(21-07-2013, 08:12 PM)trout Wrote: At the moment the spot price makes this a $195.30 coin.
Ah Well Mate as they say in the Star Wars movies "Live long and prosper" AngelLaugh2

I believe it's Star Trek not Star Wars

Yeah What She Said Blush

I have a couple of extra coins from the Masterpieces in silver set and I use one of them as a "toss coin" at work.
Heads you do it my way and tails we do it your way.
ALL the coins in this set are "Double Headed" DiabloLaugh2

Just goes to show there are other ways to get value out of Grannybait Ok

(22-07-2013, 03:28 PM)Fulvio Wrote: AgreedNCLT is never going to be anything but a losing proposition for most buyers. Therefore it is best avoided entirely. If a particular item appeals, buy it because you like it, but consider it a consumable, not an investment.

Agreed

I remember a few posters on CCF telling us how they bought Perth Mint products and sold them immediately at a profit.
I don't know whether these posters were on the Perth Mint payroll or whether they were just trying to impress us Dodgy . If true then they are really just a pyramid scheme. Eventually someone is left holding a coin worth a fraction of what they paid for it. After all, in 10 years time who will remember or care what NCLT was released in 2013.

I'm with Fulvio. I only buy NCLT if it is specifically something that interests me and I certainly would never consider it as an investment.