2012 proof set with 2013 dollar

Started by Freightcar, September 18, 2012, 07:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Freightcar

I have managed to pick up a 2012 mint set with a 2013 dollar coin in it:yahoo:.

 I was wondering if anyone knows or has heard how many of these are around?

I also have 2 UNC sets with no colour in the small shield:wavemulticolor:

Again I have no idea how common this error is.

purplepennyhunter

Is yours the known set or is yours a second set??
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Freightcar

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='597' dateline='1347963236'Is yours the known set or is yours a second set??

I just bought it off eBay so I guess it may be known

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='597' dateline='1347963236'Is yours the known set or is yours a second set??

Sounds like there are 2 known

markn

Quote from: 'Freightcar' pid='594' dateline='1347962445'I have managed to pick up a 2012 mint set with a 2013 dollar coin in it:yahoo:.

 I was wondering if anyone knows or has heard how many of these are around?

I also have 2 UNC sets with no colour in the small shield:wavemulticolor:

Again I have no idea how common this error is.

Did you also buy the 2 UNC sets with no colour on the small shield that the proof set seller was selling?  If you really did buy that proof set then you did very well especially after the seller rejected a couple of offers several thousands of dollars above the one that was accepted.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

Freightcar

Yes that was the one and the 2 sets...... I take it you made the other offer

Quote from: 'Freightcar' pid='603' dateline='1348003730'Yes that was the one and the 2 sets...... I take it you made the other offer

As you can guess I am very happy to have managed to buy them and they are now the most treasured parts of my collection.

It would appar then there are only the 2 known sets.  I guess it will be interesting what the feature will be on next years coins.

markn

Quote from: 'Freightcar' pid='603' dateline='1348003730'As you can guess I am very happy to have managed to buy them and they are now the most treasured parts of my collection.

It would appar then there are only the 2 known sets.  I guess it will be interesting what the feature will be on next years coins.

Congratulations on your purchases.  I hope for your sake that the 2013 proof sets do not contain MOR dollars or you've paid a lot of money for a packaging error.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

purplepennyhunter

Many collectors both here and on other forums have been following this set, there was even a flyer with the last Downies catalogue alerting collectors to check for these sets.

I still believe there is only one known set, found in Geelong (as discussed in letter in Aug? CAB) by Leroygelong with an attempted sale on eBay. We stood behind the owner of this set at the Melb ANDA show entry lineup talking about his find.

As to the sale on eBay. Why would the seller reject an offer of 6k (BIN of $12,500) and accept an offer of 2.5k? I would have walked a mile.

I think as the RAM have stated the 2013 proof sets will contain a selectively gold plated 20c that the dollar will be the standard MOR. So it's simply a packaging error.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Freightcar

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='597' dateline='1347963236'Is yours the known set or is yours a second set??

LOL I have no idea.... I bought it off eBay on friday so i think its the 2nd set

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='607' dateline='1348008065'Many collectors both here and on other forums have been following this set, there was even a flyer with the last Downies catalogue alerting collectors to check for these sets.

I still believe there is only one known set, found in Geelong (as discussed in letter in Aug? CAB) by Leroygelong with an attempted sale on eBay. We stood behind the owner of this set at the Melb ANDA show entry lineup talking about his find.

As to the sale on eBay. Why would the seller reject an offer of 6k (BIN of $12,500) and accept an offer of 2.5k? I would have walked a mile.

I think as the RAM have stated the 2013 proof sets will contain a selectively gold plated 20c that the dollar will be the standard MOR. So it's simply a packaging error.

Here is his responce to my question regarding this pack.

Gday Stan, your items are packaged together and on the way mate. I have included a delivery confirmation for you to sign for my records. I can tell you that a bloke named Ken also from Geelong, has a set with the 2013 $1 coin inside, making that just two known examples. The other two sets are the only examples I know of. All the best for your future collecting, yours sincerely, Leigh

So from this I take it there are two.

planchetflaw

I have seen three sets. I have the serial numbers written down. They were spread by around 100 in the numbers. So I imagine there are over 100 of these floating around. All from Aus Post.

Freightcar

Quote from: 'planchetflaw' pid='613' dateline='1348037946'I have seen three sets. I have the serial numbers written down. They were spread by around 100 in the numbers. So I imagine there are over 100 of these floating around. All from Aus Post.

The one I have is number 0019617

Now the decision is after what I have read is whether to resell.

Is it a good investment or a white elephant?

planchetflaw

Another two found. Numbers 19485 and 19492. I don't think it's too hard to imagine that it's quite a large batch of these. I'd sell as the first sold for 2.5k. First was found at Geelong PO VIC, then Ingleburn PO NSW, another NSW one that I forget, and the recent two at Woolongong PO NSW.

accumulator

The numbers of the known sets 19617, 1949? could suggest that their all packing errors in between,maybe not but i don't think i'd take the chance that they are'nt & i think i'd flip it asap just in case the market is flooded with them.
If you do decide to flip it good luck.

markn

Quote from: 'Freightcar' pid='656' dateline='1348128936'Is it a good investment or a white elephant?

If 2013 MOR proofs appear next year then you've got a packaging error.  If 2013 MOR proofs do not appear in any 2013 sets you've got a mule in your proof set.  

If it turns out to be a packaging error there is some prior history.  There's two packaging error proof sets listed in Macca's, listed at $500 and $400.  Those are for a 10c and 5c coin so it could be argued that yours is worth a bit more because it's a $1 coin.

If it turns out that the 2013 proof MOR in your set is a mule then there's also some history with that.  There's two mule error sets listed in the catalogue.  Both, incidentally, are the 2006 proof set.  One with a 2005 MOR proof dollar, and one with a 2005 platypus 20c.  The first is valued at $3500 and the second at $3900.

So, if your set turns out to be a packaging error you've done your dough and I'd be flipping that set as soon as I could.  If you've got a mule in your set then you might have done all right for yourself.  If it was me I'd be praying for a feeding frenzy on eBay as these new sets hit the market and getting out of it with a quick profit.  Right now no-one knows if the 2013 proof sets, proof baby sets, or wedding sets are going to contain proof MOR dollars.  However, given that the "highlight" coin in the 2013 proof set is a selectively gold plated 20c the balance of probability is that the the $1 proof will be the standard MOR design.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

rubystein

Proof coin sets are nice.I havent bought a 2011 or 2012 set because of no funds
One day I will buy them,error sets I have no interest in

accumulator

So whats the chances of there being any other $1 design in the 2013 set ? i can't think of any reason to make a commemorative coin,can anyone else ?