UK 2p Wrong planchet

Started by autocoupler, October 07, 2026, 09:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

autocoupler

Not sure if I posted this before. A 2p on cupro nickel planchet.



As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

Triggersmob

Were you able to work out what coin the planchet was for, by weight and diameter?
Steve

OFEC count = 258

autocoupler

Yes, Steve. I acquired the coin back around 2008-2009, a while ago now. The coin weighed 5.6g which is close to that of a 5P planchet at 5.65g. The diameter was 24mm-25mm. I have seen other 2P coins on the net where they were minted on foreign planchets, maybe South African, but well centered. I remember seeing another well centered one at VP coins a few years back when they still had a shop front. 
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

gweidion

Not well versed on British coinage. What was the planchet supposed to be?