Threepence Varieties

Started by Nevol, August 09, 2016, 09:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nevol

From what I am reading at present, it appears there are supposed to be 2 Types of S on the 1944S Threepence.

If this is a known fact, it's news to me and I'm hoping someone may be able to supply images of the 2 types so I can check my spares for the 2 varieties.

Even a detailed description of what to look for would be good. :beg:

My sources are: Numista; Krause 1901-2000 42nd edition.

In the meantime I'll get my 23 x 1944S coins out and see if I can spot anything.


Wow! It turns out I did know something about these little blighters. I have found 42 of them, some separated from the others & noted with 'blobby' S, but even with a 10 x loupe, I can't see what it's all about, so I'll check them all with the USB. :kez_11:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

trout

It's news to me also Nancy, It will be interesting to see what you find out :good:
These little suckers are too small for my eyes and my cudoscope doesn't want to work on my new laptop :dash1:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Goldseeker

The photos below are from my pile of spare/surplus 1944S threepences.

The difference that I can see is the thickness of the lettering "S".

Outside of that, I can't see any difference over my 40 odd spares.

Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Robster

Nancy, if I recall the s has either no serifs or has serifs on the letter.
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

robbiegal

i was wondering that
i looked up my dean book but the images are so ratty that it was hard to figure out from his book
he has the sans serif at 6 times the values of the other serif (but it is not described or named) for the year  just 's' and then sans serif 's'

Robster

Checked my pool, I have 15 with serifs (top loop of 's' is very thin) whist the other 3 seem to have a thicker loops and a rounder 'bum' on the 's'. Sadly all three of these are damaged :dodgy:
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

Nevol

Thanks all!

Now, What I've come up with is main differences between the Serifs in the top row compared to the Blobs in the second row, and also the distance of the S from the ribbon above.

Top row they are quite close to the Ribbon, bottom row, they are more distant from the ribbon.  Shape of the S's are also markedly different.

With their being 32 M of them all up, who knows how many dies were used.

A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

r9453

I have Fred Lever's book, he refers to three varieties:

All serif on S
Date variety (thicker/fat 4s)
Letter variety (droop foot 4, S narrow)
Two Bob coin collector.

Nevol

Any ideas what the Droop foot 4 looks like?
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

r9453

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='93957' dateline='1470722637'Any ideas what the Droop foot 4 looks like?

It's pretty much as it sounds, the left side of the foot of second 4 points down to the left.

EDIT:
Two Bob coin collector.

Robster

I have one I noted as 'wide down stroke on first figure 4' (Renniks) with a image code C36A. :idea:
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".

Nevol

Don't think I have one of those so I can get on with getting the little sods organized. :whistle2:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Nevol

I have decided to try to keep all my 3d Variety posts & images in one thread, so I have renamed the thread to Threepence Varieties (prev 1944S Threepence)

1942d 3d's also have the MM in different positions.  I am calling the 3 positions, near, far and medium.

A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Nevol

These are 1942S Threepences, with the same differences as previous post.

A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

gnome

There are a few threepences that have a nice doubling on the obverses, as well, that aren't listed.