Pre-Decimal Copper and Eye Appeal

Started by Fr45h3R, January 03, 2013, 07:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fr45h3R

I have noticed under poor light that some copper does not look very appealing but when you get into sunlight or under a nice light the real beauty shows.
Just wondering how others view their Copper coins when judging for eye appeal ?

robbiegal

I use bright light - catches verdigris perfectly. Otherwise bright light catches the patina beautifully - low light can make them appear very dull. but I am a colours collector - so the bright light is my preferred lighting.

markn

I often find most coins look just awful in low level ambient light.  I've learned to try to look at them under bright light.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

Fordprefect

I use a LED magnifying Triumph Desk lamp.
Clean consistent cool white with 2X.

Battery or 240v
Available at Officeworks $37.50

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Lighting/Desk-Lamps/NAT114BK
Rob the Elder

Fr45h3R

Thanks for the replies all. I guess i'm on the right track, no need to fret when my coins are dull in the dark.

I've been on the look out for one of those desk lamps. Too many wants in the pipeline at the moment, maybe i'll buy one out of impulse if i'm ever in Officeworks.

robbiegal

I have this light now for sorting and viewing

i must have got it on special as I am sure that I didn't pay that much for it
it has been fantastic

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Lighting/Speciality-Lamps/NAT1040WE

Mister T

I view my coppers in whatever light I'm in at the time.
Maybe I need to take them outside sometime.

enworb

I love the colours that some of the Perth minted copper tone and unless youre in sunlight or have a nice bright white light then the colour really doesnt show up.

stevo1962

How about this one for eye appeal


[attachment=806]
[attachment=807]
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

purplepennyhunter

I like that one a lot and I think I said so on CCF.

Sometimes a coin will look completely different under coin shop or show lighting to what I'm used to at home but I have a LED loupe so hopefully  I get it right most of the time.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum