New $5 note

Started by jens coins, February 11, 2016, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

interest

I'm going up o Coles tomorrow, so I'll take one of these notes to see what happens.
Will let you know

ausjack

Nooooo, but if you must interest..better take a few just in case :) Nah just get them change at the service counter for old one's.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Hercules

Quote from: 'interest' pid='97874' dateline='1473764250'I'm going up o Coles tomorrow, so I'll take one of these notes to see what happens.
Will let you know

You needn't bother. Coles says their machines are already compatible with the new note, and they're now bagging Woollies for not doing the same.
Source: http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/woolworths-checkouts-unprepared-for-australias-new-5-note/news-story/1f50a59454d91ac6ebc13e69f3032a40

I reckon Woollies was so busy distributing the coloured Olympic coins that they simply forgot to prepare themselves for the release of the new $5 note. :winkextra:




Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='97877' dateline='1473764473'Nooooo, but if you must interest..better take a few just in case :) Nah just get them change at the service counter for old one's.

Settle down. The ATM at my local bank spits these things out like confetti. They're so common now that I'm struggling to persuade people not to spend them or scrunch them into balls.

ausjack

With twice as many made as other years with the extra digit why not spend them because it's not like they're rare and they'll make more next year and the year after that and the year after that etc. I wonder how they go making a shrinky out of them like the old one, I'd say they'll be the same and add a little heat and next minute you have a $5 that's half the size.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='97886' dateline='1473768939'I wonder how they go making a shrinky out of them

Shrinkies are Polystyrene. Banknotes are Polypropylene. It won't work.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

ausjack

It did with the old one's as I've seen it done with a cigarette lighter held a couple of inches or so under it and just wave it back and forth.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Fulvio

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='97892' dateline='1473770660'It did with the old one's as I've seen it done with a cigarette lighter held a couple of inches or so under it and just wave it back and forth.

http://imgur.com/a/1ZvVO purports to be one that went through the dryer. I don't believe it though, because dryer temps are way below PP's melt point. I guess if you apply enough heat, anything is possible... you can turn it into a liquid after all.

However, the old-school shrinkies we used to play with in the oven did their thing at much lower temperatures, and the commercial kits you can buy are PS. Which has all sorts of fascinating properties.. drop some into acetone and watch it disappear! ;)
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

Enlilninlil

Quite frankly the vending machine operators should know that currencies change. Tough luck.

ausjack

That's ok as they only put any costs like that straight back on to the consumers so it doesn't really cost them it costs us.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

kanjoe07

\"It\'s like you want us to make fun of you\" - Barney Stinson on Canadian money

robbiegal

should i be looking at the signatures on my post office sets?
i know little about notes


Goldseeker

I tried six separate banks today in two suburbs and only two banks had the new notes.

No, they wouldn't allow me to purchase any as I didn't have an account with them.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Fulvio

Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='97953' dateline='1473838482'I didn't have an account with them.

Why not?

I would have assumed it was a given that everyone would have accounts with all the banks. Given that they stopped that foolishness with account fees years ago.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

JeffH

Please tell my bank that.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.