Watermarking images

Started by Enlilninlil, November 22, 2015, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Enlilninlil

I was reading a thread and some said they watermark their images to try and prevent them being used by others illegally. So how do you watermark images, be scans or photos?

trout

Quote from: 'Enlilninlil' pid='81748' dateline='1448176860'I was reading a thread and some said they watermark their images to try and prevent them being used by others illegally. So how do you watermark images, be scans or photos?

There is an option on eBay to do this , But otherwise I wouldn't have a clue. :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

I use a Windows compatible program called FastStone to do it.  It's kind of neat because I can batch process any number of images to resize and watermark them at the same time.  Our blog uses a WordPress plugin that can watermark images once they are uploaded to the website if we haven't watermarked them previously.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

QuoteOur blog uses a WordPress plugin that can watermark images once they are uploaded to the website if we haven't watermarked them previously.

Is there a way to implement that software with the images uploaded to the Gallery on this site?
Or is the cost of doing this prohibitive?
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Quote from: 'trout' pid='81757' dateline='1448192544'
QuoteOur blog uses a WordPress plugin that can watermark images once they are uploaded to the website if we haven't watermarked them previously.

Is there a way to implement that software with the images uploaded to the Gallery on this site?
Or is the cost of doing this prohibitive?

There would need to be a plugin or mod available for the gallery that does it.  I could write something myself but don't really have time right now.  

Why would you want the gallery to watermark things Jim?
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

QuoteWhy would you want the gallery to watermark things Jim?

Just thinking out loud Mate, Some of the members have had their images used in eBay scams.
I don't think they were sourced from our gallery but it wouldn't be impossible to do so.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Goldseeker

If you have a programme where you can edit a picture/scan, like ACDC, then one can overprint ones image with ghost like letters.

I just might have to give that idea a try myself.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Fulvio

Quote from: 'trout' pid='81760' dateline='1448233876'Some of the members have had their images used in eBay scams.

You do realise watermarks are relatively easily defeated?

The real protection is the law, not a technological approach.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

purplepennyhunter

No one even looks at the watermark when they steal our images.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Fulvio

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='81772' dateline='1448264155'No one even looks at the watermark when they steal our images.

I don't think anyone ever looks at watermarks anyway, stolen or not.
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

kchan1111

Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='81770' dateline='1448263666'You do realise watermarks are relatively easily defeated?

You need to up the ante in the arms race with something more sophisticated than simple watermarking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

Fulvio

Quote from: 'kchan1111' pid='81782' dateline='1448276853'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

Yeah, I'm a big fan of steganography, especially combined with cryptography.

However, given that one can always take a screenshot, I don't think there's anything you can really do even if you defeat the various ways of removing them
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

JeffH

I just happened to notice an eBay seller with watermarked images where the watermark is big and right across the centre of the coin picture. That is in direct contravention of eBay watermark policy.
However that doesn't matter -the images are the RAM images for the coins; obviously pinched from the RAM website. That is just plain weird (and probably illegal).
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

ausjack

There's a few that use RAM images and they're pretty easy to pick a RAM pic :dodgy:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

Robster

But who is going to police it! Hard enough getting anything reported and removed as many here has discovered.
\"Everything in moderation, including moderation\".