most over rated and over priced aussie coins

Started by PNC king, September 04, 2015, 11:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

All the coins I have seen for sale in this so called PNC look pretty ordinary at best due to the packaging so I imagine a coin from one of these in high grade without the PVC/Toning would be a rarity with a mintage of 2000.
I still think that this is way overvalued for a NCLT/ Specimen  coin unless it was in "Pristine" condition and to pay $600-$700 for an average nasty looking piece is ridicules  :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Quote from: 'trout' pid='78889' dateline='1441496950'All the coins I have seen for sale in this so called PNC look pretty ordinary at best due to the packaging so I imagine a coin from one of these in high grade without the PVC/Toning would be a rarity with a mintage of 2000.
I still think that this is way overvalued for a NCLT/ Specimen  coin unless it was in "Pristine" condition and to pay $600-$700 for an average nasty looking piece is ridicules  :ok:

There's a limited supply and people want them and $600 seems like a fair enough price for a coin with a mintage of less than 1500.  Yes the coins are generally toned.  But the point I was trying to make is that they are NOT circulation coins as you suggested.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

QuoteBut the point I was trying to make is that they are NOT circulation coins as you suggested.

Fair enough :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

drakesterling

Quote from: 'markn' pid='78887' dateline='1441495848'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='78886' dateline='1441495638'Without the packaging on the "Yarralumla" issue the coin is a Bog common 50c piece with a mintage of over 14 million and from what I can gather NOT in very good condition due to the packaging to boot.
I imagine that the best grade you could find one of these in would be in the MS64 range which makes it a $10 coin in a private issue envelope.

That's actually very, very wrong.  The coins in the Yarralumla PNC are specimen coins that are different to the "bog common 50c piece" as you put it.  In top condition they are one of the HARDEST decimal coins to find.  You should read Cruzi coins on the subject http://www.cruzis-coins.com/Grading/1969Yarralumla.html or even our blog.

markn is correct. The Yarralumla is a very specific issue struck with distinguishing features such that even a coin removed from the packaging and circulated is identifiable.

Dave Morris wrote an article in the August 2010 CAB describing specific die markers that are unique to the Yarralumla.

trout

I know these are a special strike and there were only 2000 struck, There are also many other Decimals struck with low mintages.
What I am saying is I personally wouldn't fork out $600-$700 for this particular  coin because I consider it to be over priced for what it is and the inferior condition of most of the coins are in :ok:

So to me Personally this coin is over rated and over priced, To other collectors Maybe Not :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

serial

Link doesn't work. I am interested in reading on how to Id the specimen 69 50c

Unicorn

:yeah_that: I thought it was just me Serial. I kept getting an incomplete page.

I'd love to be able to track down the article from 2010 too.

stevo1962

It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

Unicorn

Thanks heaps for the updated link Stevo. :good:

(I had actually seen that page before, but it was a fair while ago).

I'll have to try and track down a copy of the article so that I know the die markers to look for as I'd love to find one in "the wild".

markn

Sorry, it looks like the forum code doesn't like it when you put brackets around a link.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

PNC king

Quote from: 'trout' pid='78896' dateline='1441505166'I know these are a special strike and there were only 2000 struck, There are also many other Decimals struck with low mintages.
What I am saying is I personally wouldn't fork out $600-$700 for this particular  coin because I consider it to be over priced for what it is and the inferior condition of most of the coins are in :ok:

So to me Personally this coin is over rated and over priced, To other collectors Maybe Not :ok:
i never wasted any money on purchasing this coin even 20 years ago when you could get one for $ 100 , was still way more than the coin is worth buy your self a mule or a wavy 20 cent instead or a  MS 64 no sd two cent or a MS 64 RD perth mint one cent or a MS 63 or better incuse 50 cent

markn

There were 4 yarralumla PNCs listed on eBay about 3months back. They all sold for around $700. So they are worth something to someone.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

Quote from: 'markn' pid='78916' dateline='1441532849'There were 4 yarralumla PNCs listed on eBay about 3months back. They all sold for around $700. So they are worth something to someone.

There are 2 at the moment on eBay listed at over 1K .
Seriously if these were put in the same holders that the Captain Cook coins were then YES the good ones IMHO would command that sort of value :ok:
Unfortunately these coins did NOT survive as the Mint intended and most of them quite frankly look pretty Bloody awful.
I truly perceive these as a "Packyboxitis" thing and not an important numismatic issue :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Quote from: 'trout' pid='78918' dateline='1441535491'
Quote from: 'markn' pid='78916' dateline='1441532849'There were 4 yarralumla PNCs listed on eBay about 3months back. They all sold for around $700. So they are worth something to someone.

There are 2 at the moment on eBay listed at over 1K .
Seriously if these were put in the same holders that the Captain Cook coins were then YES the good ones IMHO would command that sort of value :ok:
Unfortunately these coins did NOT survive as the Mint intended and most of them quite frankly look pretty Bloody awful.
I truly perceive these as a "Packyboxitis" thing and not an important numismatic issue :ok:

I didn't say they were worth $1k.  I said they were worth $700.  Perhaps they are over-valued in the catalogues but at $600 or $700 they are decent buying.  They are an iconic PNC and serious collectors like to have one regardless of what you perceive them as.  And trout mine looks perfectly fine and I'm happy to own it.  

I am not sure why the OP has a bug up his butt about them but even at $100 20 years ago a 700% return is a pretty decent price hike.  Over-valued at $1000....sure, $500-$700 not so much.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

runway

Quote from: 'trout' pid='78889' dateline='1441496950'All the coins I have seen for sale in this so called PNC look pretty ordinary at best due to the packaging so I imagine a coin from one of these in high grade without the PVC/Toning would be a rarity with a mintage of 2000.
I still think that this is way overvalued for a NCLT/ Specimen  coin unless it was in "Pristine" condition and to pay $600-$700 for an average nasty looking piece is ridicules  :ok:
It's not about the coin
It's about the PNC itself
The PNC is 46 years old and there were not 2000 PNCs issued
This is an iconic PNC
Greg McDonald 22nd Edition Pocket Guide explains it on page 150
:wavemulticolor:

Quote from: 'drakesterling' pid='78895' dateline='1441503564'
Quote from: 'markn' pid='78887' dateline='1441495848'
Quote from: 'trout' pid='78886' dateline='1441495638'Without the packaging on the "Yarralumla" issue the coin is a Bog common 50c piece with a mintage of over 14 million and from what I can gather NOT in very good condition due to the packaging to boot.
I imagine that the best grade you could find one of these in would be in the MS64 range which makes it a $10 coin in a private issue envelope.
Exactly and there has been other articles in CAB that cover this as well
That's actually very, very wrong.  The coins in the Yarralumla PNC are specimen coins that are different to the "bog common 50c piece" as you put it.  In top condition they are one of the HARDEST decimal coins to find.  You should read Cruzi coins on the subject http://www.cruzis-coins.com/Grading/1969Yarralumla.html or even our blog.

markn is correct. The Yarralumla is a very specific issue struck with distinguishing features such that even a coin removed from the packaging and circulated is identifiable.

Dave Morris wrote an article in the August 2010 CAB describing specific die markers that are unique to the Yarralumla.
Buy what gives you enjoyment