POCKETBOOK NOW OUT

Started by Greg McDonald, July 31, 2015, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greg McDonald

I've been a father three times and I thought waiting for that new family edition was a stressful, long drawn out affair.  Pretty easy going really (with apologies to Jenny) compared to the dramas concerned with the 22nd edition of the book.

Anyway I am pleased to say that the book was shipped out to dealers last night and Sydney stores such as Prospect Stamps & Coins in Blacktown received their copies about 10am today.  Victorian and QLD dealers should get their orders on Monday with logistical matters determining the arrival dates for SA and WA.

With the amount of new issues that have come out this year as well as the need to bring prices back to reality, it has been a mammoth amount of work.

I sincerely want to thank everyone on the forum for all their suggestions and support as well as the dealers and collectors who support us.

Kind Regards

Greg

ausjack

A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

dreamcatcher

Hi Greg. Congratulations on completing the 22nd edition! I am a regular user of your pocket book and have very much appreciated them over the years.

You said that you needed to bring prices back to reality. It has been clear for some time that catalogue prices have been wildly off the mark. Can you give us some insight into your realignment of prices in the 22nd edition and perhaps a few examples?

Thanks and I look forward to getting a copy!

PNC king

coin prices have been going down for the last 5 years

ausjack

yes and silver and gold have taken a hit so it shows with coins :( but it'll come back one day :) Hopefully sooner rather than later.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

Congratulations Macca it's been a stretch I'm glad it's now done :)
Buy what gives you enjoyment

Greg McDonald

Thanks for all the posts and support.  Price revisions percentages depend on the series, gold and silver prices etc.  Having said that, a mean average would be around 40 percent.  Heavy duty coins like the Kookaburra nickel coins and proof and specimen sovereigns are down about 70%.  Where possible I have included recent auction or price list sales to justify changes.
As I have mentioned before I have redesigned just about the whole book to add new info and even some information on issues that get little publicity.  Where possible I've included a current 50 cent issue related to our military service with coins or notes associated with the original battle.  Included are the EMDEN canteen tokens associated with the Keeling Cocos 50 cent piece as well as the banknotes issued at Gallipoli.

I get a lot of mail from people who have trouble working out the does of the 1919 and 1920 pennies so there is a full page now devoted to, hopefully, helping collectors get their heads' around this confusing issue.

Moving along we've also tried to group together coins of the same design that have been struck in different metals, included in multiple sets or have a mint mark.  In the RAM mint, proof and baby sets we've re-tabulated the info to highlight when a special design is included.  Depending on the sets it could be a 20c, 50c or $1 or all three.

The Masterpieces and PNC have been completely overhauled and given reference numbers.  I've also tried to include as many secondary or overprint issues as I could find although I am sure collectors of this series will be able to help with omissions.

The Perth Mint issues were also a challenge, especially with the array of fair issues in some years.  I also wanted to include weights and size for these issues as some are now worth more than issue price just because of the bullion value.

Anyway I hope you find the attached of interest.  Always room for improvement bout I'll leave that to another day.  Now the book is finished I intend to organise a well deserved nervous breakdown.

Cheers

Greg

PS : I just tried to send some samples of the pages as a PDF file, but I got a message saying the type of file that I've attached is not allowed. "Please remove or choose a different type."   Can anyone give me so advice on this.

Thanks

ausjack

Sounds like you need the fire cigar and port so time to rest for a bit mate and wish I could help but I'm lucky to send an email but sure someone here will be able to help :)
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

I honestly think Greg you have put your heart and soul into this effort and the book will be the best yet :)
Buy what gives you enjoyment

JeffH

I am looking forward to receiving my copy -maybe even this week.

But, it is now only 5 months before a new edition could be due!
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Greg McDonald

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='76990' dateline='1438629649'I am looking forward to receiving my copy -maybe even this week.

But, it is now only 5 months before a new edition could be due!


Hi Jeff

You brought up a good point.  Just for the record, I'm changing the release time for future editions of the pocketbook. I'm moving from Christmas to June / July.  Not really my decision but good advice from my family and doctor following my heart attack last year.  Being air lifted by air ambulance from Albury to Melbourne's St Vincent's Hospital was a memorable experience but not one I'd like to repeat.  Working to an immovable deadline like Christmas is extremely stressful - especially when things go wrong as they always do with such a big file.  Mid year just offers that flexibility which might eventually mean I have a few extra editions in me going into the future.  If you can pass the word around, that would be very helpful.

Cheers

Greg

JeffH

Thanks Greg,
I did have a suspicion that would be the case. I don't think any reduction in the Christmas market will be significant as coin fanatics are going to buy the new edition whenever it appears.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Greg McDonald

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='76993' dateline='1438649758'Thanks Greg,
I did have a suspicion that would be the case. I don't think any reduction in the Christmas market will be significant as coin fanatics are going to buy the new edition whenever it appears.

Hi Jeff,

I agree, collecting is a year around thing and I think a book to coincide with the onset of winter (unless you like in Darwin) might work well. It might, dare I say make a a good gift for Mother's or Father's Day.  Christmas is such an insane time with everything else going on,  I am sure a lot of the brochures we send out are put aside in favour of a beer.  An added pressure is the email we get on December 23rd from people needing a book for Christmas!

I must say I am looking forward to the change. It has been 21 years since I've enjoyed a Spring in the sunshine. As a keen gardener on three acres, I can now look forward planting summer crops rather than the crappy winter stuff.

Cheers


Greg

Pedro

3 acres of garden?? How in earth do you then find time to write a book (especially one with so much requiring updating)? Garden during the day, research all night.

Pedro

Greg McDonald

Quote from: 'Pedro' pid='77002' dateline='1438657806'3 acres of garden?? How in earth do you then find time to write a book (especially one with so much requiring updating)? Garden during the day, research all night.

Pedro

Hi Pedro,  sorry mate, I should have mentioned that there is a house plonked in the middle of that acreage so the garden is not as impressive as it sounded.  I'll send you some strawberries when the time is right.

Cheers

Greg