Anzac Coin Collection released by News Corp Australia

Started by purplepennyhunter, March 23, 2015, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

stevo1962

Been waiting for the first WW1 War Heroes $1 poppy coin to show up on the PCGS population
report and it looks like Trout's coins are the first.I thought they'd grade better but we'll see where
the population stands by the end of the year

  http://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail.aspx?pno=3&c=5078&p=MS&t=3
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know


ausjack

No you have to pay extra for a pic AC, yeah everything has a price mate :(
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='77133' dateline='1438803354'NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, that's BS runway, it was a really good gimmick/money spinner/grab for cash for murdoch to see how much more money he could make off his uneducated readers and if it's worth him buying the mint to make more profit, honestly how many people did it get into collecting and how many thought I'll get these and put them away for the grandkiddies future and never had and have no intentions or interest of ever getting into coins, so sorry but I don't by that one as next week he'll have some other BS idea to flog off his shitty right wing bias tabloid papers to the unsuspecting and naive readers that believe his BS propaganda and he was just lucky for the ANZAC's and I'm totally spewin at the anzac lot for letting him do it and shows they're just as bad and selling out our country and the diggers that fought for it :( it's a bloody disgrace and the lot that gave him the rights should be totally ashamed of them selves. How many other times before or since has murdoch helped coin collecting in any way without making a fortune for himself :dash1: Sorry for the little rant but things like that really gets on my nerve as it's like saying the drug companies make drugs to help people or politicians are there because they care about australia and the people..all lies :dodgy: :angel:
Got nothing to do with politics ... I personally know many families and children who are now interested in coins and have now started a new hobby collecting coins
Buy what gives you enjoyment

ausjack

Sorry but I think it has a lot to do with politics because the mint is one of the last assets and the government would just love to sell it but they need to get someone with deep pockets interested in buying it so that puts me out :laugh2: and it was very disrespectful of the anzac lot to sell the rights so he could do it and yes it might have got a few people interested, for 5 mins but how many will become long term collectors, not many I would think so to me it was just a grab for cash by murdoch and the quality of the coins shows that :( I'd like to know how many people actually bought them and how many dealers jumped in because of the anzac theme and some how got bulk when the public were limited apparently and either had to subscribe to get the special $1 or buy the paper daily, + a small fee for the coin. But then it doesn't really matter and just as long as murdoch can't do it again but they probably will :dash1: So how long do I have to wait for the massive influx of members to the forums and coin shows that it's generated :winkextra: It's all good mate I just don't agree, but different opinions is what make the world go around, or so they say :friends:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

serial

I agree with runway, this was a good thing for numismatics as it has created a positive memory for people. they may not start collecting now but 20 years from now when they have had kids and are looking for a more sedentary hobby they may find that old collection they had when they were a kid and start collecting again, only this time with disposable income.
This is how I got back into it and this is the time I think the poppy $1 will peak in value as they all look to complete that collection they never finished of as a kid

ausjack

Each to their own mate and i think it's the worst granny bait ever and heaps worse than perth mint rubbish that 90% of drop in value so only time will tell but I think more collections will get lost over the years so hold onto the $1 if they're a low mintage because there must have been hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of the 20 cent going off the pic's Jeff put up ages ago of all the boxes at his local news agents and if they all got the same and with all the news agents around I'd hate to think the mintage, the only savour would be the anzac theme but that to could die of in years to come because I know I won't be here for the next centenary and I really don't like the idea of murdoch disrespecting our diggers as he gave his rights away as  soon as he became a yank so it was just a money spinner for him. And isn't it a different folder that hold the $1 that you had to subscribe to and was suppose to be limited.
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

100k mintage for each of the 14 20c and 13.5k mintage for the $1
I thought it was a great promotion.
I buy the Daily Telegraph printed version anyway mainly to read the Sport
Regardless of politics, as a collector of decimals it was actually good to be able to obtain these OFFICIAL 20c Royal Australian Mint coins without the usual cost of around average $10+ in official folders
All Perth Mint product is granny bait and most RAM stuff is too, ie most NCLT crap,however circulating type RAM NCLT is something I collect
I consider coin collecting a hobby because I love it and never purchase anything I don't like or buy just to resell and make a quick profit
Numismatics is my passion and my enjoyment
Buy what gives you enjoyment

PNC king

has anyone sent off the 14 twenty cent  coins to pcgs for grading , i notice drakesterling  have some on their website

ausjack

Quote from: 'runway' pid='77294' dateline='1438956895'100k mintage for each of the 14 20c and 13.5k mintage for the $1
I thought it was a great promotion.
I buy the Daily Telegraph printed version anyway mainly to read the Sport
Regardless of politics, as a collector of decimals it was actually good to be able to obtain these OFFICIAL 20c Royal Australian Mint coins without the usual cost of around average $10+ in official folders
All Perth Mint product is granny bait and most RAM stuff is too, ie most NCLT crap,however circulating type RAM NCLT is something I collect
I consider coin collecting a hobby because I love it and never purchase anything I don't like or buy just to resell and make a quick profit
Numismatics is my passion and my enjoyment

Thanks runway, pretty high mintage really

So how much did the set end up with the purchase of the paper plus the coin and folder??
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

runway

AJ it was $2.50 per 20c coin for 13 days the first one was free with folder when buying my normal Sunday Telegraph at my local newsagent
To get the $1 coin required an online subscription to various Newscorp papers,$10 for a month and their Rewards Program allowed subscribers to buy the full set including the $1 for $45 which had the full folder to include the $1 unlike the newsagent variety
Buy what gives you enjoyment

JeffH

QuoteTo get the $1 coin required an online subscription to various Newscorp papers
That is the problem. Special deal for subscribers and only way to get the $1 coin. I have a subscription to a Fairfax newspaper and would not want another paper.
The RAM is pandering to a particular commercial interest to the detriment of the collecting community.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

trout

Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='77353' dateline='1439057811'
QuoteTo get the $1 coin required an online subscription to various Newscorp papers
That is the problem. Special deal for subscribers and only way to get the $1 coin. I have a subscription to a Fairfax newspaper and would not want another paper.
The RAM is pandering to a particular commercial interest to the detriment of the collecting community.

:agreed:
It also could be argued that these "coins" are in fact "Tokens" produced by RAM for a private company's use .
Was the mintage authorised by the government , as is usually done with a new issue?
If these in fact were sanctioned by the government then that opens up a whole new can of worms:angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Mister T

Quote from: 'trout' pid='77355' dateline='1439058603'Was the mintage authorised by the government , as is usually done with a new issue?
If these in fact were sanctioned by the government then that opens up a whole new can of worms:angel:

Don't all coins produced need to be okayed by some committee?

ausjack

Quote from: 'runway' pid='77351' dateline='1439043279'AJ it was $2.50 per 20c coin for 13 days the first one was free with folder when buying my normal Sunday Telegraph at my local newsagent
To get the $1 coin required an online subscription to various Newscorp papers,$10 for a month and their Rewards Program allowed subscribers to buy the full set including the $1 for $45 which had the full folder to include the $1 unlike the newsagent variety

WTF I asked at the news agents here and I think they wanted $4 something so I just said thanks but no thanks :(

Quote from: 'trout' pid='77355' dateline='1439058603'
Quote from: 'JeffH' pid='77353' dateline='1439057811'
QuoteTo get the $1 coin required an online subscription to various Newscorp papers
That is the problem. Special deal for subscribers and only way to get the $1 coin. I have a subscription to a Fairfax newspaper and would not want another paper.
The RAM is pandering to a particular commercial interest to the detriment of the collecting community.

:agreed:
It also could be argued that these "coins" are in fact "Tokens" produced by RAM for a private company's use .
Was the mintage authorised by the government , as is usually done with a new issue?
If these in fact were sanctioned by the government then that opens up a whole new can of worms:angel:

:laugh2: if you remember when they first posted about these "coins"/tokens I DID actually think they were tokens :dodgy: and still do :angel:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.