I am sooo "Done" with decimals

Started by trout, December 21, 2014, 04:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trout

I only started to get serious with Decimal coins 3-4 years ago and since then I have poured thousands of hours and dollars into acquiring the collections that I now have.
I have enjoyed it immensely especially when I finally caught up and finished my dollar and 20 cent collections and almost all the 50 cents as well, The 5,10,1 and 2 cent sets are pretty easy and I did these with ease :)  

The sheer volume of different coins coming from the mint over the past 2 years and what they propose for next year has totally destroyed the enjoyment I once had in getting the new coins for my collections.

I intend to sell ALL my slabbed decimals and use the funds to finance my interests in the Proclamation , Indian coins and other interesting and beautiful coins produced in the early part of this centaury and before.
I will hang on to my decimal coppers because the Buggers cant make too many more of them :angel:
SO, I need some guidance as to how to liquidate at least a couple of hundred decimals in PCGS slabs without doing the fire sale thing and try and get at least some of my money back :yahoo:
Don't know what I am going to do with the other coins in their respective albums, but I will think of something.

I still intend to get ALL my new acquisitions graded by PCGS, they just wont be bought from RAM .
I have decided to "Go back to basics" and just get what I enjoy instead of playing "Catch up" , Because quite frankly that Boors the crap out of me.

So that's Me , I'm done and the RAM will not get another penny out of this little black duck :)
I know many of you LOVE these coins , But for me the "passion" has gone and its high time for a divorce  and Move on to better pastures :dance::dance2::dance:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

interest

Quote from: 'trout' pid='63976' dateline='1419140711'I only started to get serious with Decimal coins 3-4 years ago and since then I have poured thousands of hours and dollars into acquiring the collections that I now have.
I have enjoyed it immensely especially when I finally caught up and finished my dollar and 20 cent collections and almost all the 50 cents as well, The 5,10,1 and 2 cent sets are pretty easy and I did these with ease :)  

The sheer volume of different coins coming from the mint over the past 2 years and what they propose for next year has totally destroyed the enjoyment I once had in getting the new coins for my collections.

I intend to sell ALL my slabbed decimals and use the funds to finance my interests in the Proclamation , Indian coins and other interesting and beautiful coins produced in the early part of this centaury and before.
I will hang on to my decimal coppers because the Buggers cant make too many more of them :angel:
SO, I need some guidance as to how to liquidate at least a couple of hundred decimals in PCGS slabs without doing the fire sale thing and try and get at least some of my money back :yahoo:
Don't know what I am going to do with the other coins in their respective albums, but I will think of something.

I still intend to get ALL my new acquisitions graded by PCGS, they just wont be bought from RAM .
I have decided to "Go back to basics" and just get what I enjoy instead of playing "Catch up" , Because quite frankly that Boors the crap out of me.

So that's Me , I'm done and the RAM will not get another penny out of this little black duck :)
I know many of you LOVE these coins , But for me the "passion" has gone and its high time for a divorce  and Move on to better pastures :dance::dance2::dance:



How your going to get your money back on those pad coloured dollar coins you have slabbed is beyond me.
I certainly wish you luck.

trout

QuoteHow your going to get your money back on those pad coloured dollar coins you have slabbed is beyond me.
 I certainly wish you luck.

Thanks Mate, Yes it is doubtful at best that I will "Break even" on a lot of the coins, But some are actually top of the pops so that may help to even things out :)

All is good as long as I get some funds to play in my new sand pit so to speak :yahoo:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Nightparrot

Ebay is good but you will need to set reserves and be patient.....

stevo1962

Yes Jim I culled much of my collection in the last year as I changed focus and had to wear
a loss on many coins but sometimes that's what you have to do .Ebay is probably a good option
considering the size of the audience so I wish you luck
It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know

dcoin

If you want to maximise your return, have a reserve for all non top of the pop coins and let the others ride at auction, always sell individually rather than as a group. However, it isnt all making money, collect what you love and realise that what you love can change.

Goldseeker

If selling on EBay, reserve prices are out aren't they?

Wish you luck on getting top dollars for your coins as many, if not all, are not in the packaging they came with.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


trout

Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='64044' dateline='1419209071'If selling on EBay, reserve prices are out aren't they?

Wish you luck on getting top dollars for your coins as many, if not all, are not in the packaging they came with.

I am thinking of consigning these in batches so I don't have to pack and post hundreds of coins :)

The packaging isn't really a problem as a large percentage of them have their "New" packaging supplied by PCGS :good:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

markn

Personally I think consigning them in big batches in auction will lead to a glut of availability and low prices on common material  

If you're in no hurry put them up on eBay 10 or 20 at a time at BIN prices and wait for them to sell.  Or consign them to a dealer who lists them up at appropriate retail prices and takes his/her cut and forwards you the balance.  Mind you, either of these approaches could take a VERY long time.

Third option is to list them all on this forum first for what you'd like to get for them and let members have the first go at them.  That way there'll be no middle man.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

trout

QuotePersonally I think consigning them in big batches in auction will lead to a glut of availability and low prices on common material
:agreed:

I do dabble on eBay but it would drive me insane listing, taking images, posting, and packaging such a large number of coins :dash1:

The consignment idea sounds most attractive to me :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

interest

If I was you I would be hanging on to the coins, you might be pissed now but in a few years you might be very sorry you got rid of your coins. just saying. you never know. just put them aside don't even look at them forget you have them.

Goldseeker

Listing them on this forum first and allowing members to purchase slabbed coins might save in commissions etc but would it secure maximum price?   I don't think so.

Further, only a few might sell leaving a lot of leftovers to worry about disposal.

The balls in your court as they say.

If you were to sell the lot as a collection, what would be the approx. price you would want to realize?
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


trout

QuoteIf you were to sell the lot as a collection, what would be the approx. price you would want to realize?

I have absolutely NO idea Goldie , I have never actually considered my Decimal collection as an asset and wouldn't have a clue as to their value as a collection really.
I could spend a few hours on Bluesheet and work it out I suppose.

Mark has kindly agreed to sell some via consignment for me which is the easy way out for me.
Instead of spending my time selling coins I can concentrate on buying the coins I now want for my other coin interests and collections :dance2:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

ausjack

Yes I have been doing a bit of research and that sounds like the best way to go and think it's the way I will go as well :good:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

trout

I have had a good think about this.
I have spent a heap of time and effort getting these coins together in the various Decimal sets and it would be a shame to get rid of them.
I think ill just keep most of them and only worry about adding the NON NCLT coins to the sets.
I'm Done with the RAM mintmark/Counterstamp Circus' :banned:
If it is coinage designed and minted for circulation I will grab it Tho.
I will continue to get the Mint and Proof sets each year because they are easily procured :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum