Collection Theme / Category choice

Started by 6eor6e6, November 18, 2014, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

6eor6e6

Hello all, I am new to collecting and the forum. Made the decision that I would start collecting, after three days of thought, research and scanning pocket change and really enjoying seeing the coins for themselfs, art and individuallity.
First decision and I think my first mistake, to go with year mint set's. (I liked the coloured MOR)
Not wanting to break there sealed packaging, I cant study them after scanning an image at 1200dpi on P C, that is favoured to me.
I will to have reconsider my theme as I need to stick to one for now or I''ll end up running around like headless chook and out of money.
Any Ideas would be helpfull, what if I break packaging, whats to proof UNC.
Will do a bit more research and see.

Great Forum George
No foe shall gather our harvest or sit on our stock yard rail

Nevol

First up, :welcome: to the forum. Great to see you posting. :yahoo:  Let us know when you decide your 'area' of collecting.  

I now only collect coins that go into circulation, and usually get 1 or 2 yearly Mint sets, although I'm unsure if the 50c in the 2015 Mint Set is going to be a circulation coin or not. If it's intended to be NCLT, I might not bother with it, as I believe, like many others, that NCLT is 'Granny Bait'.  

My other area is error coins, I just love them. :angel:
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

6eor6e6

Quote from: 'Nevol' pid='62579' dateline='1416345906'First up, :welcome: to the forum. Great to see you posting. :yahoo:  Let us know when you decide your 'area' of collecting.  

I now only collect coins that go into circulation, and usually get 1 or 2 yearly Mint sets, although I'm unsure if the 50c in the 2015 Mint Set is going to be a circulation coin or not. If it's intended to be NCLT, I might not bother with it, as I believe, like many others, that NCLT is 'Granny Bait'.  

My other area is error coins, I just love them. :angel:

Thank you for your warm welcome Nevol and sharing your 'area' of collecting, shall let you know were I end up.
So much to learn and understand, seem to be heading in the same area you have described.
Purchasing from the mint or from a dealer ?
I met my local dealer, regional Qld, walked away with positive respect.
Wouldnt all dealers go through there new stock with a magnifying glass, I would, to cull so to speak.
RAM's postage cost are up there, order several items at a time, if affordable.
I could go on, will save for another post or after some more research.

Thank you George
No foe shall gather our harvest or sit on our stock yard rail

Nevol

I usually get my yearly Mint Set/s from either my local dealer or from Aust Post.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

kchan1111

I started only a few months ago. I ended up going with florins. Gotten one from Drake Sterling, one from purplepenny but mostly numisbid.

Got some really good advice from people here. Recommended I get MacDonalds pocket guide. Very useful and also fun to browse. I am now reading this book...

http://www.sterlingcurrency.com.au/items/collecting-and-investing-australian-coins-and-banknotes-book

Learning a lot from it. Andrew Crellin recommended this book to me for learning grading:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-Grading-Counterfeit-Detection/dp/0375720502/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416190136&sr=8-1&keywords=pcgs+grading

And I have built a grading set now. :)

Unfortunately a lot of these books are no longer in print. So have to buy from eBay.

Coiny Chris

Hello,

Welcome, there are many themes you can collect without breaking the Bank. It may take a while for you to decide, always good to have all the Coins from your year of birth. I would start with all the " special " Coins you pick up in change. You would be surprised how many you can get in a week ! As a nice bit of " bling " you can often get silver proof sets for less than $20 per Coin. On Ebay people often break them up, and the less popular Coins are sold off at a realistic price.
A rolling Coin gathers no change. C Chris

6eor6e6

Thank you all, for the ideas & tips, believe I would of been a lot better off with the Mcdonalds book than $130 usb microscope i spent, ce la v.
Not sure were I am going but going somewere I have Mint sets 2014 & 15, 2014 $2 Rem C, plus 8 proof sets in the post.
Doubting that call already as I want to study them, that is difficult in packaging, seems I will have to live with it, play with the circulated coins.
Like was mentioned about EBay, might be a bit of fun shopping for the right buys, but for the small fry it is costly in post, unless you can pick up multiple.
Presently thinking dealers online, keep a list of perivials/comsumables, find my purchase and load up making most of the postage.
The more I learn the more understand how much more I need to know. It seems that for your collection to reach its full potential is that you give PCGS a certain amount of money to make it so, not of my concern at this stage or a good while yet.
Chris's thought of year of birth made me think thats predecimal, remember the three & six pence in xmas pudding and or cake, eating it with every sense of your mouth seaching for it, watching siblings to see who would get one.
I have come across a few circultaed coins of good condition about a grade or so below aUNC I spose, that'll keep me happy for now.

Thanks for reading George
No foe shall gather our harvest or sit on our stock yard rail

6eor6e6

Hi, have settled with proof coins mainly year sets at present as my theme.
I have from 1975 - 1989 except 1979. Some of these duplicated & some RAM rolls trying to justify the postage. Heres a photo of collection without loose circulated coins.
[attachment=3076]

Most have covers or foams.

George
No foe shall gather our harvest or sit on our stock yard rail

Goose

Quote from: '6eor6e6' pid='63859' dateline='1418955929'Hi, have settled with proof coins mainly year sets at present as my theme.
I have from 1975 - 1989 except 1979. Some of these duplicated & some RAM rolls trying to justify the postage. Heres a photo of collection without loose circulated coins.

WOW, that's a nice start and you picked quite a nice category.

kchan1111

Quote from: '6eor6e6' pid='63859' dateline='1418955929'Hi, have settled with proof coins mainly year sets at present as my theme.
I have from 1975 - 1989 except 1979. Some of these duplicated & some RAM rolls trying to justify the postage. Heres a photo of collection without loose circulated coins.


Most have covers or foams.

George

Nice! quite a collection already.

JeffH

One thing I find interesting -a sideline only- is to find as many different fine silver coins as possible. Any denomination, any country and any condition.
It is surprising how many coins you can accumulate for very little outlay. I never pay more than melt value and, mention your interest to people and many have a few old coins tucked away they are happy to give away.
This is often of more interest to non numismatic friends and acquaintances than a good collection of apparently almost identical coins.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

keldaw

my sideline just now is Australian florins I just love the design of them , so that is my interest just now and I have quite a collection of them , mainly from 1938 onwards with the crown / shield design
I try to get them around $ 5.00 each or less but a few I have paid up to $ 8.00 ea for them . I have sold a few other coins and that is how I get my funds to buy my florins ..
 can you tell me what the amount of silver in each of the florins is ?
  how many needed to make an oz of silver ..????
          example 3 x .50 c rounds make I oz of silver
 pre 45 ----------  x .2/- needed  make 1 0z of silver
 post45----------   x .2/- needed  make 1 oz of silver

                        ,, kel ,,
take care because we care ..

Triggersmob

Pre 1945, 3 coins will give you just over a troy Oz. (31.385 grams)
Post 1947, 6 coins will give you just over a troy Oz. (33.93 grams)

A troy ounce is 31.1034 grams
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Fordprefect

Post 1945 Steve. The 1946 Silver was .500.
Rob the Elder

purplepennyhunter

Quote from: 'keldaw' pid='63889' dateline='1418986030'can you tell me what the amount of silver in each of the florins is ?
  how many needed to make an oz of silver ..????
          example 3 x .50 c rounds make I oz of silver
 pre 45 ----------  x .2/- needed  make 1 0z of silver
 post47----------   x .2/- needed  make 1 oz of silver

                        ,, kel ,,

Have a look here Kel.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum