Silver Saturday

Started by Triggersmob, January 25, 2014, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

gweidion

I have heard that story about walking from Dawn to Dusk to lay out a claim for land. I didn't realize it was Iceland though.
Thanks for the history lesson, and the nice coin.

Triggersmob

Very nice coin Tane.
I also remember reading about walking for a day to claim land in Iceland. It was when I was checking out what the 4 different images on the reverse of the coins represented.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Tanecoins

Forget next week, I will do it now, its still Saturday in America.

[attachment=4262]

The slightly smaller 500 Kronur (Obverse the same so have just done a Steve and uploaded a single picture) weighs 20 grams and shows the same rule for women. Whereas men could walk with their feet and no obstacles, a woman had to take a dairy cow with her and could not ride it. The distance she led the milch cow was the amount of land she got, again on a spring day (The near 24 hour daylight of summer would be pointless and so would the 0c and 4 hour daylight of winter would get very little land.

I actually like this coin more as the design is simpler and more effective.
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

Another nice coin. I did remember something about walking with a cow, but didn't remember it was for the women.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Tanecoins

Lets revive this with an ancient classic

We have a hammered halfgroat of Charles II, third coinage, dates from around 1662
Would be VF if not for the worn portions on shiled. Coins were moving to milled at this time, but the small denominations had to wait until the end in the 1670s
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

Nice addition to this thread. Way older than most of my coins.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Tanecoins

Lets do some more klassic and kreamy kollectable koins with Tane
 We have an amazing groat (4d) from England and its of Bloody Mary before she married Philip 2 of Spain. The coin can only date from 1553 to 1554 and shows the old battleaxe as a semi attractive younger woman (Maybe to lure a man). The coin has the inscription "Veritas Temporis Filia" - Truth is the daughter of time. My example is average, but generally problem free and a real bucket list coin for me.

Elizabeth and Edward VI coins are easy to find, but Bloody Mary takes some work.
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

Very nice Tane. I think I need more silver.
Steve

OFEC count = 258