RE: Maccas Book Corrections

Started by Greg McDonald, October 21, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

runway

All the best macca your health is the most important thing in anyones life
Buy what gives you enjoyment

PNC king

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='63638' dateline='1418436471'hey Greg - welcome back to the forum
Look after yourself first - books can wait
Collectors can just add on around 5% to last years book - that is what I do for my older maccas

what a brilliant way of working out prices just add 5 % , you could save a lot of time using this method

robbiegal

Can depend on the coins but yes it seems to be about that much each year (to me).

runway

Buy what gives you enjoyment

trout

Quote from: 'runway' pid='63897' dateline='1418998072'Prices are only a guide not a benchmark

:agreed:
A benchmark is using the latest Auction prices and eBay averages within a three month period, I use Bluesheet and look at the sales numbers on eBay and I can work out an up to date ballpark value for most coins.
There are exceptions where a particular coin has never been sold or rarely comes up for sale :ok:
Don't get me wrong , The Pocket book IS a great numismatic publication and is very very useful and I get a copy every year.
The trouble is as soon as it is printed it is actually "Out of Date" as far as pricing goes.

So like Greg states on the cover of the book "Pocket GUIDE to Australian Banknotes and coins" and is not a definitive publication as to the value of any coin in real time :ok:
It IS however a "Treasure house"  of information regarding mintages and the various coins available and without it I would never of been able to assemble my 25mm Dollar coin collection in its entirety :yahoo:

In Summery regardless of the valuations this is a worthwhile publication and regardless of who you are or what you collect is an eagerly anticipated publication :)
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

runway

Both Rennicks and McDonalds books are invaluable for any coin collector
Buy what gives you enjoyment

PNC king

Quote from: 'runway' pid='63943' dateline='1419079234'Both Rennicks and McDonalds books are invaluable for any coin collector
both are great but the time has arrived for them to be online and the need to waste paper is no more

robbiegal

a paper book is never a waste
if you don't have power
you don't have your electronic book
a book will last hundreds of years

I buy my son antique book/s every birthday & he loves them

ausjack

second that as it has come in really handy at coin shows as I don't have a puter in my pocket :)

And hope your feeling better Greg and thanks again for the call, it was a while coming but bloody awesome chatting to you mate :friends:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

PNC king

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='64058' dateline='1419220140'a paper book is never a waste
if you don't have power
you don't have your electronic book
a book will last hundreds of years

I buy my son antique book/s every birthday & he loves them

a book is big heavy and cumbersome and with a mobile juice pack that can charge a iphone/ipad  about 7 times you have unlimited power to last any coin show

Fordprefect

Interesting, spend what 500-600 bucks just so you can read your $35 book.
Don't think so.
Rob the Elder

ausjack

it's ok FP because you have to replace that 500-600 every year to keep up to date and stay with the trend as we have to follow the trend these days, yeah I'm a dinosaur :yahoo:

Mmm so I wonder how much Greg could make from one of those silly app things that seem to be a total con job, but also have to keep printing books for us old dinosaurs :winkextra:
A wise person knows there is something to learn from everyone.

PNC king

Quote from: 'Fordprefect' pid='64365' dateline='1419555215'Interesting, spend what 500-600 bucks just so you can read your $35 book.
Don't think so.

smart phones are free from most carriers , so i spend nothing , get with the times , it is the dinosaurs who are holding back numismatics , face it new technology is better we must move forwards and not be stuck in a timewarp

i was the very first collector of pcgs in australia and got slammed by everyone and i registered the very first sets on the set registry, and yet now everyone who matters likes/collects pcgs , i embraced the future before everyone else and a online guide is the future people , your arguments holds no weight with the younger generation

interest

Quote from: 'PNC king' pid='64391' dateline='1419567973'
Quote from: 'Fordprefect' pid='64365' dateline='1419555215'Interesting, spend what 500-600 bucks just so you can read your $35 book.
Don't think so.

smart phones are free from most carriers , so i spend nothing , get with the times , it is the dinosaurs who are holding back numismatics , face it new technology is better we must move forwards and not be stuck in a timewarp


i was the very first collector of pcgs in australia and got slammed by everyone and i registered the very first sets on the set registry, and yet now everyone who matters likes/collects pcgs , i embraced the future before everyone else and a online guide is the future people , your arguments holds no weight with the younger generation

 "and yet now everyone who matters likes/collects pcgs" ?????????
So I don't matter any more?

purplepennyhunter

"free" on a hefty plan. I love my phone (bought outright, yes bye bye $400) but I hate what it costs to use it. It costs me 1c to sms Telstra to Telstra but costs an arm and a leg to do anything else (how do I ring someone?). Back to the point here I can and do use free internet (with my phone) about the place to check on coin things when I am out and about and dealers always have a catalogue that you can refer to if you ask. There is probably no point for the casual collector to have the most recent book each year as it doesn't change an awful lot. A lot of the material in the book in question I wouldn't need for reference anyway (private issue banknotes and anything with a mega $$$ cv) so I would dislike to carry it around for that reason.
I used to carry it around, but know coins much better and a cv is not the sort of pricing I am looking for anyway. I'm commonly looking for real sales figures. Just my opinion.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum