RE: Maccas Book Corrections

Started by Greg McDonald, October 21, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robbiegal

kel - I think ebay has killed the prices for coins
they are so much more readily available
but having said that, if they are a scarcer one / more sought after one,  they still hold a catalogue value

keldaw

true Robbie , but I believe there are a lot more everyday hoarders of standard coins who only want the coins they find in circulation ,and put away for a rainy day or for their grandchildren or just because they are nice and shiny , and I believe Greg's book and a lot of other coins books , give the people a false sense of security with their prices . I for one have been caught out and have listed some coins ,using Greg's prices ,and when I find out the real going price ,I feel like I am making a fool of my self . and I then feel embarrassed for asking such a unrealistic price for a coin ..   ,, kel ,,


so if you want to sell some of your everyday coins you have gathered from noodling over the years , like nclt coins , where else can you sell them , rather then ebay . bless their little hearts ..  
             ,, kel ,,
take care because we care ..

autocoupler

The major dealers had it all their way for as far back as you want to go in the days before the internet. They were the ones in the main who had the contacts, knowledge and time to attend live auctions etc. From where I sit much money was made from selling low to mid grade coins to collectors in those times, and is where the current unrealistic catalog values undoubtedly had their beginnings.

To the eternal annoyance of many, the internet has changed forever how business was done. It's not perfect, but the average collector is becoming more knowledgeable, and the cost of mid range coin is now more sustainable. Of course  there will always be the rarities and high graded coins that attract the attention of  high rollers at live auction.

But as Kel said of the internet sales, "bless their little hearts".
As we age we lose three things, one is our memory and arrrrr I\'ve forgotten the other two!

kchan1111

Just thought I will make a comment (if someone hasn't already done so) that I would love to have Macca's Catalogue as an Android app. :good:

Episoda

Does anybody have any idea if there is a 2015 Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes book by Greg McDonald being released and when? I just remember the 2014 book was brought out around this time last December that's all.
Never, Ever, give up!

PNC king

that would involve lots of work in getting it off the ground and continuealy updateing it
Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='32677' dateline='1382949830'I believe that these PCGS prices do not influence Maccas one iota

Quote from: 'Goldseeker' pid='62414' dateline='1416030739'Not everybody has one of those magical phones that can annoy everybody everywhere because the operator/owner can't be bothered in keeping their private business private.

I prefer the catalogue.   At least that is quiet unlike a mobile phone.

Quote from: 'kchan1111' pid='63024' dateline='1417086619'Just thought I will make a comment (if someone hasn't already done so) that I would love to have Macca's Catalogue as an Android app. :good:

that would involve lots of work in getting started and updating weekly/ monthly and the author is way too lazy for ths=at

purplepennyhunter

Quote from: 'Episoda' pid='63553' dateline='1418214949'Does anybody have any idea if there is a 2015 Pocket Guide to Australian Coins and Banknotes book by Greg McDonald being released and when? I just remember the 2014 book was brought out around this time last December that's all.

I had just started to think about that then someone emailed me yesterday asking. I don't think a single thing has been said or mentioned about anything related to the new book.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

stevo1962

It\'s not about who you know it\'s about what you know


PNC king

yippee that means my family will buy me something good for xmas

Greg McDonald

Regarding the 22nd edition of the pocketbook.  March 2015 is correct.  I had a heart attack during the year and that has slowed me down.
And a happy Christmas to you PNC

Greg

Goldseeker

Sorry to hear about your health problems and wish all the best for a safe and speedy recovery.

Get well first Greg, work on the book can wait.

Have a safe and happy xmas to you and tours and a prosperous new year.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


robbiegal

hey Greg - welcome back to the forum
Look after yourself first - books can wait
Collectors can just add on around 5% to last years book - that is what I do for my older maccas

kchan1111

Sorry to hear that Greg. Please take care.

I am a relatively new collector here. I picked up a second hand copy of your old 1991 book "Collecting and Investing in Australian Coins and Banknotes", 2nd edition from eBay recently and I am really enjoying it. Lots of good ideas and timeless advice that are still relevant today for the people starting out. :good:

ausproofs

Quote from: 'Greg McDonald' pid='63636' dateline='1418432746'Regarding the 22nd edition of the pocketbook.  March 2015 is correct.  I had a heart attack during the year and that has slowed me down.
And a happy Christmas to you PNC

Greg

Get well soon Greg, health is the biggest asset anyone could wish for.. Hope 2015 will bring you good health ! All the very best !
Collecting coins is not about having the best, but loving what you have ...