Received in change

Started by interest, October 22, 2012, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hercules

Quote from: 'runway' pid='108964' dateline='1496062324'Found in change is different to noodling :idea:

I know. I'm just telling people what the likelihood is of finding one in change. :ok:

Unicorn

I think Herc is correct as noodling & finding in change should have the same overall probability. It's only that the sample size in noodling is greater. Probability stays the same being: ((A: Number of a particular mintage in circulation at the time) / (B:Total number of coins of that denomination in circulation at the time))

As Herc is indicating results from a larger sample size, the probability derived should be more accurate as we'll never ever be able to determine values for A & B. Factors such as minuscule sample sizes and cashed in hoards will always distort the any resulting probabilities.

Runway is correct in as much as finding in change & noodling are different, but that's merely due to the larger sample sizes when actively seeking.

Pedro

Gee Uni you're sounding like a Statistics professor ;)

Pedro

Unicorn

:laugh2: .... Yeah, old habits die hard Pedro

Excuse the image editing ...... name covered as a member of Accountants Anonymous ..... God grant me the serenity ..... :winkextra:


Pedro

I always knew you had a deep dark secret Uni :P

Pedro

Unicorn

:laugh2: .... Oh yes, the dark side ...... or was it the far side?


Pedro


Goldseeker

2017 Lest We Forget $2.00 coin in change from Coles Supermarket just down the road.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


Ozcoins

Nice find Goldseeker!
I received a Bradman 20c in change today. Not too many of them floating around.

Nevol

I found this in my purse this week.  Can't remember seeing 2 cuds on the  1 before.

Aust 10c 2012 Rev Cuds Top, Bottom 1, + on 0

A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Unicorn

Nice one, great eyes and pics Nevol!!! :good:

Goldseeker

I received another coloured 2017 lest We Forget $2 coin from Coles Supermarket today.
Message rec\'d from Jens Coins 18 Jul 23: 
Bruce Mansfield passed away today 18 Jul 2023 – Acute Myeloid Leukemia


seedyrom

Yeah, met up with my wife for lunch and in the change, the local thai place handed back a couple of lest we forget $2 coins.




I was going to ask if they had more, however I thought "I've already got a bunch in bags, and receiving a couple in change is enough for me to take out of circulation. Let the enjoyment move to the next person".
There\'s no such thing as too much Borobi!

Pedro

Excellent pick-ups seedyrom :ok:

Pedro

ErikP

thanks seedyrom we've never seen at least they are out there
\"Blood!...Blood!... That\'s a good thing! A ghost who bleeds is less dangerous!