shilling grade

Started by stevo1962, January 10, 2017, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

echidna

Quote from: 'Cockatoo Coins' pid='114392' dateline='1520506524'Pcgs at least will put their money where their mouth is so if they do get it wrong at least you will have some recourse. There will always be astute Collector's who will keep them in check aswell such as they have done here.

A bit off topic but I can't let the comment about warranties go.
In theory there is full recourse yes, but PCGS are notoriously fickle with warranty submissions.
And their reputation is poor here in my opinion.
Mine (a no brainer) is at 15 months with no sign of resolution.
I'd suggest that  others will experience similar delays.

Cockatoo Coins

I would recommend doing these through a dealer, we have the ability to push orders and talk to the people involved on your behalf and hurry these things up. There is no way I would let a customers sub take that long without getting it sorted for them

Cockatoo Coins

We will find out aswell, I'm sending all that I had back ASAP

drakesterling

Quote from: 'nealeffendi' pid='114341' dateline='1520232954'ATTENTION! This shilling that PCGS slabbed is a counterfeit. I  am certain of this as I have 2 similarly choice examples and they have the same ding line below LL and the fine scratch line coming up from the top point of the star. More importantly my 2 examples have 2 different dies used for the obverse. One of these obverses has a fault at the rim at IN and that exact same die was also used for 1911, 1916 and 1925. The other fake 1914 that I have has a diecrack through IND IMP (so the fakers used the same 1914 reverse paired with at least 3 obverse die. I have identified 7 fake shillings in my collection, plus a 1923 threepence. All made by the transfer die method. Special thanks to Echidna for raising this issue (in CCF) in regards to similarly faked 1911 pennies.
The obverse of your shilling matches 2 of my shillings (dated 1911 and 1916). There is a tiny dot just in front of the kings nose and another near the kings chin (a bit below and forward).
So NGC has slabbed fake 1911 pennies and PCGS has slabbed fake 1914 shillings. I've lost nearly 2 thousand on these 8 raw coins but how much more could I have lost had I purchased them slabbed?

PCGS' guarantee will help cover some if not all your losses. If you bought them raw, it'll be a different story.

However, news of these fakes is still disturbing news, regardless of whether they're graded or not. 

Eric