Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping track of circulated coins

Hi,

I endeavour to keep my collection as a basic type-set of Australian coins, but it's quite frustrating given the rate at which the mints produce commemorative coins.  I am only interested in coins released into circulation - so I don't bother with most of these (e.g. the many Anzac variants, the motorsport coins, the endless alphabet releases), but every time a new coin is announced - e.g. the Indigenous Languages 50c or the Repatriation $2, I need to try and find out if they are going to be released or not.

Can anyone point me to a reference website or similar that makes it easy to know if it's a circulation coin or not?

Thanks

Ken

The RAM site is reasonably good, but for the newest releases, you're best of here with The ACF.
https://www.ramint.gov.au/circulating-coins

Indigenous Languages 50c & the Repatriation $2 are both going to be released into circulation today.  Mintage figures not known yet.

Depending on where you are, they are being released today at the following locations. More locations will be announced at a later date.

SYDNEY COIN SWAP
Date: Wednesday 10 April
Time: 8.00am to 2.00pm
Where: Centenary Square, Parramatta
Coin swaps will be available in $10 sachets (cash only). Limits apply.

OTHER LOCATIONS:

CANBERRA 
Where: Royal Australian Mint, Canberra

BRISBANE COIN SWAP
Where: Southbank, Brisbane

MELBOURNE

ADELAIDE
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

That link is just what I wanted.

Thanks very much

Ken

I notice the RAM link given above does not include the Olympic, Possum Magic or Mr Squiggle $2 coins even though they were released into circulation through Woolworths.

What's the consensus on such coins? Are they considered on par with circulated mint releases? Or more like the uncirculated commemoratives?

Ken

I consider the Olympic, Possum Magic and Mr Squiggle $2 coins as ''circulation commemoratives.'' Hunderd of thousands if not millions have entered actual circulation. I don't care that the RAM lists them in their annual reports in the ''collector coin'' section.

The RAM are not all that quick at keeping the site up to date, but these coins are as Redlock said, 'Circulation commemoratives'.
A Platypus is a duck designed by a committee ( anon)

Looks like I need to keep tracking all these funny extra releases... :-)

I certainly won't be including things like the 25c ANZAC coins released with the newspapers though.

Ken

RAM don't include special orders like Woolworths or Newscorp coins in mint reports but they are mentioned in currency determination
Buy what gives you enjoyment