Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wedding Set picture Thread 2002-2009

Drooooool........WOW!
Cheers
Barry
humpybong

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"

I had a couple of these Wedding set coins "Spare" and recently I sent a coin to few different Members here that had never seen one "In Hand".
I wish I was a fly on the wall when they removed the coin from the bubble pack to see their reaction when they first set eyes on one of these coins Smile
It was another Member here "AJ" that first introduced me to these coins and without his "Heads Up' I would still be blissfully unaware that Decimal coins of this quality existed Good

If anyone here hasn't seen these coins "In Hand" then I strongly suggest that the next time you are in a coin shop that you ask to have a look at one of these Wedding Sets if they have one available, Most dealers have at least one of these sets or maybe some individual coins from them Ok
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

These are a set of the 2016 "In come the Dollars in come the cents" set that I had graded by NGC.
They have the same perfect strike that the Wedding set coins have but the fields have a different finish because standard unpolished blanks were used to produce these coins.
The fields on these coins have a slightly "granular" look to them But the coins have a Proof Like appearance as noted by NGC with the MSXXDPL attribution, The "DPL" is a Deep Proof Like designation Ok
These coins are Not the same as the Wedding set coins But they do have similarities Smile

1c MS70DPL
The scratches here are on the slab Dash1
[Image: 2016_1c.jpg]

2c MS69DPL
[Image: 2016_2c.jpg]

5c MS68DPL
[Image: 2016_5c~0.jpg]

10c MS68DPL
[Image: 2016_10c~1.jpg]

20c MS68DPL
[Image: 2016_20c~0.jpg]

50c MS68DPL
[Image: 2016_50c~1.jpg]

Very nice set, I don't collect decimal coins since 2013 but this is the kind of issue that would have taken pride of place in my collection.
Two Bob coin collector.

(10-10-2016, 08:58 AM)r9453 Wrote: Very nice set, I don't collect decimal coins since 2013 but this is the kind of issue that would have taken pride of place in my collection.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of these coins when I opened my first set.
There was nothing to suggest that these coins were minted differently when they were listed on the RAM site But some of our members here asked about them at the Mint and were told that they were struck more than once on the Proof Presses Good
I like to think of them as the 2016 wedding set Smile

Very nice coins Jim.
You have PR70 5c, 10c and 20c, just need 50c, $1 and $2 now for a perfect set. Smile
Steve

View my coin and banknote gallery here... http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/ind...?cat=10048
Now with over 16,600 images.
OFEC count = 243

(10-10-2016, 10:34 PM)Triggersmob Wrote: Very nice coins Jim.
You have PR70 5c, 10c and 20c, just need 50c, $1 and $2 now for a perfect set. Smile

Getting a 70 for a 50c or a $2 coin is extremely "Tough" for some reason.
I can understand the 50c coin being "Tough" with its large size and the smooth non reeded edges that are hard to find without any detracting marks at all, I have NO idea why the $2 coin is a such big call to get a 70 for it though.

I should have my results back from NGS soon and I am confident that there will be some SP70 coins amongst this submission Smile

The grading scale is not linear is it? So the one point between 69 and 70 is much harder to achieve than the one point between 68 and 69.
Two Bob coin collector.

(11-10-2016, 01:35 AM)r9453 Wrote: The grading scale is not linear is it? So the one point between 69 and 70 is much harder to achieve than the one point between 68 and 69.

Determining the grade of a coin that sits in the 68-70 range takes a minute inspection of the coin because at first glance it is pretty difficult to tell the difference between a SP68 and a SP70 coin.
Many Dealers in Australia consider a coin that is MS/PR/SP67 to be FDC.
I can understand this thinking because from 67 upwards the differences are quite minimal But I am of the opinion that if it isn't a 70 it isn't FDC because anything under a 70 does have some sort of blemish regardless of how minute it is Ok
However having said that , To find a decimal coin that isn't from a Wedding set that will grade 67 or better is quite a challenge and from 68 up is very difficult indeed in most cases.

New images soon Smile