Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wedding Set picture Thread 2002-2009

Beautiful coins for sure. Smile
Steve

View my coin and banknote gallery here... http://www.coincommunity.org/gallery/ind...?cat=10048
Now with over 16,600 images.
OFEC count = 243

I have sent 5 more sets to NGC, To see if I can improve on the 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008 and the 2009 coins that I have in this series Ok
I should have those results early December.
[/quote]

Trout any update on the above

Like the way you store your graded coins as well

(13-12-2016, 06:20 AM)gabby Wrote: I have sent 5 more sets to NGC, To see if I can improve on the 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008 and the 2009 coins that I have in this series Ok
I should have those results early December.

Trout any update on the above

Like the way you store your graded coins as well

[/quote]

Yes I now only have one coin a 2007 5c that isn't SP69 or better.
Hopefully I will be able to rectify that in the next couple of months Smile

The complete set of these coins consists of 48 coins in total.
So far I have managed to get 17x SP70, 30x SP69 and one coin at SP68 in the set that I will hopefully be upgrading.
These results are indicative of the incredibly high quality of these coins.
To assemble a set of circulating designs for the years 2002-2009 at this high level without using the Wedding Sets would be an impossibility.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

A 2002 outback-windmill in a PCGS MS69 slab sold for $65 on Facebook last night. The slab did not specify ex wedding set but the coin looked like it. There are currently 22 x MS69 in the pop report.
Two Bob coin collector.

(13-12-2016, 11:16 AM)r9453 Wrote: A 2002 outback-windmill in a PCGS MS69 slab sold for $65 on Facebook last night. The slab did not specify ex wedding set but the coin looked like it. There are currently 22 x MS69 in the pop report.

Regardless of what is written on the slab a Wedding set coin is not that hard to distinguish from a run of the mill coin.
Mr Cotton recently submitted hundreds of Wedding sets to PCGS.
At least PCGS did note "Wedding Set" on his slabs But still attributed them incorrectly at MS instead of SP.
It wasn't too long ago that a 2002 Windmill 50c would have sold for a lot more than $65

Trout how do you send them - in the capsules or what?

I must get hold of all of this with regards to sending coins to be graded

Lastly when did the wedding sets first appear? I think I have a few to get

No more dumb questions now from me - well not for awhile anyway

I take the coins out of the capsules and send them away in saflips.
The sets were first issued in 2002 and the last Specimen set was issued in 2009, From then on the sets were produced in the frosted Proofs.
So there are 8 sets of the Specimen coins and they are from 2002-2009 inclusive.
48 coins in all Ok
These sets are still available from about $80- $180 which is pretty reasonable considering the quality of the coins and the relatively low mintages.
The 2007 sets for some reason are pretty "Tough" to find, The rest of them can still be found with a bit of patience .

Thanks mate. Again you come to the rescue

Now I know where I'm at with the wedding sets - still have to get a 2007 set (if anyone can help)

Have some saflips here will send some away and see what happens

(13-12-2016, 05:06 PM)gabby Wrote: Have some saflips here will send some away and see what happens

I don't think its quite as simple as that appears at first glance. For example, I send my coins to an agent and he sends them to PCGS on my behalf. I looked into it and decided it was not worth the effort to send them to PCGS myself. That was my decision but guys like trout probably have a higher turnover than me which makes it viable for them.
Two Bob coin collector.

The Free submissions that you get with PCGS when you open an account or pay your yearly "Dues" more than covers the cost if you use them to submit your pre decimals or gold coins, The same thing happens with NGC.

The "Tough" part is knowing what to submit and pre grading your coins so that you can maximise your chances of getting the grades you expect and that the coins don't get a "Details" grade.

Eric Eigner and some other dealers that offer their services to send the coins in to be graded on your behalf will pre screen the coins for you and advise you about any "Problem" coins they spot.
This will save you money, time and disappointment if you are not fully confident with your grading skills, You have to remember that a TPG will be far more critical of your coins than you are yourself.
The little trick that I use when grading my own coins is to look at them as if I was about to buy the coin, This way you tend to look for the faults on the coin as opposed to looking at just how nice it is.