Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austraila's Round 50 cent coins

(16-07-2016, 12:40 PM)gnome Wrote: The letter was just a bit of a reference, and wasn't intended to take away from trouts original thread. But thanks Smile I'm a fan of the round 50cent pieces as well, and a bit of a fan of the gold coloured ones also. I think the 2003 pnc 50 is abit underrated.

That letter is a fantastic piece and thank you for sharing that Mate Good
There would have to be millions of the original coins squirreled away in bullion stashes around the World and they are certainly NOT a rare coin by anyone's standards, However finding a coin in Gem Uncirculated condition is extremely difficult probably because they have always been treated as a bullion coin and no special care has been taken storing them Cray

Quote: a vast majority of the 1966 decimal coins were minted in a couple of years leading up to 1966 because of the quantity required.

That makes absolute sense to Me Bruce, There is NO way the mint could have produced over 36 million of these AND all the other coins needed in the one year.
the 1,2 and 20c coins were "outsourced" as it was.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

(13-07-2016, 01:08 AM)trout Wrote: Feel free to post your images of these coins here Good

This would be number 6 on my list:

[Image: bSgHnjU.jpg]
Two Bob coin collector.

I Love that RAM used the Machin design on the 2006 coin and was hoping that they would do it again on the 2016 Silver Proof coin, But alas that didn't happen Sad

A really nice image there Mate Good

This is the original round proof 50C .

[Image: 32404962_Large.jpg]

Nice one trout, I'm not sure about the 1966 proofs but the circulation strikes come in a double bar version, I wonder if that should be added to the list?
Two Bob coin collector.

(16-07-2016, 07:21 PM)r9453 Wrote: Nice one trout, I'm not sure about the 1966 proofs but the circulation strikes come in a double bar version, I wonder if that should be added to the list?

Only if you have a pickkie of one Mate Smile

Ah the double bar version, had a few interesting discussions on that one.
http://cruzis-coins.com/50c/1966.html

Could be trickie to find a pickie, how about this one?

[Image: Kk2MyLi.jpg]
Two Bob coin collector.

I have a few slabbed double bars but I wonder if they are actually scarce
It's not about who you know it's about what you know

(16-07-2016, 08:59 PM)stevo1962 Wrote: I have a few slabbed double bars but I wonder if they are actually scarce

Given that so many of the original round 50c are extant its possible that any double bars are as well.

This thread would greatly benefit from the display of more pictures Yahoo

P.S. got any pics of 1966 double bars stevo?
Two Bob coin collector.