Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 50 Cent Designer?

Hi, does anyone know who is the designer of the 50 cent coin?
Or is it just RAM? And is it the same designer for all denominations? Cheers
May your coin searches be fun and your gradings true

I assume it was the Royal Australian Mint (there was probably a committee that decided on the basic theme for all denominations).

50c - G.K. GRAY

As RG has said G.K. Gray designed it, actually all of them with the exception of the 20 c.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yup not rocket science

George Kruger Gray designed the reverses of most of the post 1936 pre-decimal silver coins with the exception of the 1951 and 1954 commemorative florins. The fact that the RAM didn't credit whoever laid out the reverses of the decimal coins that made use of the Gray/Blakemore designs suggests they didn't consider it much more than a simple graphic design exercise. They did the same thing with the 2012 wheatsheaf dollar coin, and Gray's initials appeared on that. The 2011 Ramshead dollar also used a Gray design but that bore no initials. The 2008 COA dollar used Blakemore's design and I can't see initials on that either.

oh not quite rocket science
more like a rubiks' cube
a mystery to solve

G.K.G. designed many British Empire/Colonies coins and some wonderful ones there are too. Maybe that is a lead for trout as to where to go to next. [Complements many of the coins he already has.]
“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”
 Frank Sinatra

(18-02-2016, 08:20 PM)Mister T Wrote: I assume it was the Royal Australian Mint (there was probably a committee that decided on the basic theme for all denominations).

Cool, Thanks, they all look good. The obverse with the small queen head makes it look like the reverse of the coin, so use/conditioned to seeing an bigger head on the obverse. its like there are 2 reverse's on the coins? maybe just me?
May your coin searches be fun and your gradings true

(20-02-2016, 08:21 AM)Oldcoinchest Wrote: Cool, Thanks, they all look good. The obverse with the small queen head makes it look like the reverse of the coin, so use/conditioned to seeing an bigger head on the obverse. its like there are 2 reverse's on the coins? maybe just me?

I hadn't considered it like that but you're right, the obverse does have a reverse on it too.