Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wants to be an Archaeologist? Help Solve the Kilwa Coin Mystery

You'll all probably remember the news story from earlier this year about the 700 year old African (from the sultanate of Kilwa) coins that were found on an island in Arnhem Land during World War 2. All sorts of (frankly crazy) stories were put up in the media at the time suggesting Australia had been discovered by African sea-farers or perhaps even colonised! Of course the coins probably fell out of the pocket of sailor who was on the island in the 1700 or 1800's but let's not let common sense get in the way of a good fantasy story.

An expedition went to the site where the coins were found in June this year to do a survey and they found enough of interest to want to go back. And they need your help! They are crowd-funding part of the expedition and if you donate enough you could reserve your own spot on the expedition to go along with them. Awesome.

Read about how you could help solve the mystery of Australia's African coins

Sounds like an idea for businesses as they can use the donation(s) as a tax write-off. OK PPH, how much can we put you down for?

I don't know that sand and mosquitos are my thing but Mark is keen.

(24-09-2013, 02:07 PM)purplepennyhunter Wrote: I don't know that sand and mosquitos are my thing but Mark is keen.

Yes, I'd like to go. Would be pricey though.

Mark
That would be exciting
Just take a few cans of areoguard, a big hat, 5 pairs of swimmers (one for each day of the week), your floaties and off you sail!
Might find some other treasures as well - who knows.
Have fun - we'll wait for the post cards

(24-09-2013, 06:04 PM)robbiegal Wrote: Mark
That would be exciting
Just take a few cans of areoguard, a big hat, 5 pairs of swimmers (one for each day of the week), your floaties and off you sail!

Not sure PPH would be keen on the cost and me being absent for two weeks while I work on my tan.

(24-09-2013, 07:50 PM)markn Wrote: while I work on my tan.

Tan? In the wet season??? Dodgy
http://fulvio55.altervista.org/ - Decimal Mintages and Polymer Notes PDFs
Doge: DG8r9JJnWCHVvd1iG4BJeJMj5g1reYTnSc - BTC: 1FFnNxMDNCnQEjHrh9EhnHZoDMjkbf1seW

(24-09-2013, 08:24 PM)Fulvio Wrote:
(24-09-2013, 07:50 PM)markn Wrote: while I work on my tan.

Tan? In the wet season??? Dodgy

Hmm. A meteorologist I am not.

(24-09-2013, 06:04 PM)robbiegal Wrote: Mark
That would be exciting

Mark may only need one pair of swimmers if the previous thread disputing whether NT or Qld have the largest crocs is considered. Anything over 3 meters will do the job.

They would go out that far and the Arafura Sea is well populated.

http://www.livescience.com/6534-secret-r...ceans.html

Now's your chance PPH just check the insurance beforehand.Angel