1990 Kookaburra

Started by rggoodie, February 16, 2013, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rggoodie

I have collection of Kookaburras. :angel:
I have three (3) 1990 BU Kookaburras in capsules  each Kookaburra is very   toned.  :scratch_one-s_head:

None of the other years tone

Has anyone else had this experience?

No smart comments about how I got a Kookaburras in a capsule  :dodgy:
\"catch em doing something right\"

trout

Quote from: 'rggoodie' pid='8268' dateline='1360981779'I have collection of Kookaburras. :angel:
I have three (3) 1990 BU Kookaburras in capsules  each Kookaburra is very   toned.  :scratch_one-s_head:

None of the other years tone

Has anyone else had this experience?

No smart comments about how I got a Kookaburras in a capsule  :dodgy:

From what i can remember the Kooks were carded and sold in PVC envelopes.
The seal on the card could have been shoddy that year and has let the PVC invade the coin.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

rggoodie

Can't find any trace of PVC on any of them even under magnification???
\"catch em doing something right\"

trout

Quote from: 'rggoodie' pid='8270' dateline='1360982636'Can't find any trace of PVC on any of them even under magnification???

Dip one and see what happens :diablo::tease::laugh2:
Just having a lend of you here :angel:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

rggoodie

I would rather dip me misses :)
\"catch em doing something right\"

markn

I have 3 kookaburra's sitting here Richard, one of them is a 1990.  And the only one with any toning is the 1990.  Maybe there was a contaminant in the coin rinse or something that year?  Or a different capsule plastic?  Strange.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

caivel

If my memory is correct, the 1990 Kooka was not coated to protect it from tarnishing whereas 1991 onwards were. The picture in McDonald 2012 show this for the 1990 but not for subsequent issues.

Bigfellani5

Nearly every 1990 that walks over my counter is toned

purplepennyhunter

I have found some to be ugly toned and some quite pretty toned with blues about the edges. I don't think those plastic square "capsules" are airtight.
Co-Founder Australian Coin Forum

Snooba

Quote from: 'markn' pid='8278' dateline='1360986501'I have 3 kookaburra's sitting here Richard, one of them is a 1990.  And the only one with any toning is the 1990.  Maybe there was a contaminant in the coin rinse or something that year?  Or a different capsule plastic?  Strange.

I have several Kookaburra's, and the only one that is toned is the 1990 - it is very unattractively brown around the rim. :dodgy: