Forum into the future

Started by purplepennyhunter, May 26, 2025, 11:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

markn

I only come here when something goes wrong and usually read a few posts then.  That's about it, though.  That being said, I don't read coin groups on Facebook either.  

From my point of view I am looking to divest myself of things that take up my time, and while this forum doesn't take up much of my time, it's still a few hours a year.  I'd be happy to hand it over to someone else, but in it's current state they'd need to know something about the administration of a Linux server.  There's a cost of course too, which I think is a couple of hundred a year for the server, SSL certificates, and domain registration.  It doesn't need to be run the same way as I do it, but any server it gets moved to needs PHP & MySQL to be able to run the forum software.

If no-one is willing to take it over then I'm happy to keep it going and cover the costs for the time being.  But there will be a point where I'm going to not want to do it anymore.
Founder: Australian Coin Forum
The Australian Coin Collecting Blog

gnome61

I come in, mostly on weekends, now.

Basilstate

Quote from: 'markn' pid='130009' dateline='1749693986'If no-one is willing to take it over then I'm happy to keep it going and cover the costs for the time being.  But there will be a point where I'm going to not want to do it anymore.

I hope you find somebody,Forum has potential and good to see it lasted this long.

A Donations page would cover your costs.

triplewitch

I check in every now and then. I like to see who's still posting. A lot of you seem like family starting with the SS days. There were many people whose comments I looked forward to and enjoyed reading. AC is still one of my Facebook friends. Another I haven't heard from in years. I'm out of touch now with Australian coins for about 10 years since I moved into a retirement community. I hope the forum can continue for those who enjoyed it as I did, but I no longer have anything to contribute.
I know how Mark feels. As one ages, the simplest tasks become a burden.
Best of luck to you all. Thanks for the memories.
-John

Tanecoins

I am one of the few that have tried to revive it, with a weekly post in Silver Saturday and some other threads, but this place is dullsville and its sad, as its very good. The quality is really high. I cam here after I got kicked off Coin Community Family for being too autistic basically. I am also on Numista's forums, which are fairly good, but you get a lot of silly posts, trolls and young members who want to put memes and threads about Pokemon and funny pictures (American memeography) on it.

Plus we have heaps of threads from people showing a junky coin or super common coin and thinking it's the treasure of the Marie Celeste etc. Put we have some quality people there too (Mostly Americans, Brits and Australians).

This one is good too, friendly and quite liberal. But there are some issues. I do realise its a labour of love and upgrades, bells and whistles will mean more ads, sponsored posts etc and hard work which people can not really do now.

1. The layout and design is very basic and old fashioned, it looks like something from around 1998. Text is very old and not great for those of us with less than perfect 20/20 vision.

2. The limits on picture size and number, are truly Draconian. Most of us are Aussies or in my case a Kiwi. I am not sure about there, but here I get 325gb a second internet for $101 a month and it can download and upload a 300kb 500 x 500 pixel image of a silver crown in lightning speed, but this 200kb limit and 14.5mb in total is like 2005 levels. Its like in 2007, whe we got an internet "ration" of 5gb a month.

3. Some of the threads like Australian coins, could benefit from a wiki or just a dedicated picture thread, where everyone shows their new Australian purchases, this idea worked well on CCF.

4. Start a thread, like we choose a year a day and we all show our coins from it, or say a thread like "Show us your 1927 Sixpences" or what's your favourite Florin etc.

5. Advertise it more, I only knew this existed through word of mouth. Maybe link it to a well known Australian dealer - like Stampboards is linked to Glenn Stephens (I was on that for 11 years and got offside with Stephen and got suspended like 11 times, but finally left as I got sick of the racism, homophobia and stuck in the 1978 Cammoweal, ACDC, Sherbert howzat, golden holden, meatpie, we're full up, Rodney Rude era Australia they lived in.

Its a nice thread, but I feel like its a haunted ballroom and the Caretaker wants to compose an album of distorted 1930s ballroom music to it vibes. Being 49, I honestly feel like I am pre embryonical in this place!
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

Thanks for your attempts at reviving the forum and please keep it up.
I tried the same thing over on the Knights of the Coin Table forum.
Posted a heap of threads, but barely a response.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Triggersmob

Steve

OFEC count = 258

Tanecoins

Knights of the Coin Table  :laugh2:

That name just kills me. Who runs its? Sir Collectalot and Goldivere?
Collecting beautiful silver coins and loving Numismatics!

Triggersmob

I think Sir StacksALot looks after it these days, with the help of others. It's basically unmoderated because we don't need to be moderated.
It's a breakaway group from CCF. A few members from here on there too.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Mister T

There is a wiki though not sure how much it gets updated.

gweidion

Never heard of it but interested enough to go look for it.