Coins and notes

Started by Heyman_526, November 14, 2022, 03:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Heyman_526

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I'm looking at buying some new coins soon and I was just wondering if there were any that you can suggest?
I tried to get a red poppy on release but unfortunately I missed out.

I mainly collect coins but i'd also consider notes. I'd be looking for coins that are low mintage and in uncirculated condition.

Cheaper the better really within reason.

Thank you all for your assistance I appreciate it

Triggersmob

Hi Heyman, are you looking only for Aussie coins?
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Heyman_526

Quote from: 'Triggersmob' pid='127351' dateline='1668418966'Hi Heyman, are you looking only for Aussie coins?

Hi, i've only ever bought Australian coins but i'd consider world coins too!

Triggersmob

Quote from: 'Heyman_526' pid='127350' dateline='1668402216'.....low mintage and in uncirculated condition.

Cheaper the better really within reason.



I think this could be a problem.
Low mintage and cheap don't normally go together.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

Heyman_526

Quote from: 'Triggersmob' pid='127353' dateline='1668460510'
Quote from: 'Heyman_526' pid='127350' dateline='1668402216'.....low mintage and in uncirculated condition.

Cheaper the better really within reason.



I think this could be a problem.
Low mintage and cheap don't normally go together.

I'm not so strict on this i'd pay a little bit more if it was something more desirable or rare.

WavyTwenty

Do you have an Australian coin book?  There are two out, one by Renniks and the other by Greg McDonald. They are each bought out every couple of years and have the coins and what they are currently valued at.
Buy one and read it.  Whatever takes your fancy are the ones that you could look at buying.
There is also good value in buying some older books and looking at the past prices of the coins.  There is much to be learned on how the prices of coins increase, and in some cases decrease, in value.

For me, I like the more scarce and unusual coins.  Some of the coins in not particularly good condition can be bought for not too much money. And then as you progress your collection you can get coins in better condition and potentially sell the ones you already have.

Some that I like are the: no SD 2 cent pieces, Incused Millennium 50 cents; year 2000 $1 mule (harder to get inexpensive ones of this) and the coins that have a low mintage.

I actually started by trying to collect one coin of every type and year of the decimal series.  I started out with them being in circulated condition that I took from the change in my pocket.  Then as I got more familiar with them I started to buy uncirculated versions of the coins.  This is what I was interested in and it has served me well.  

Find what interests you and start there. Educating yourself is key to making the journey more enjoyable.

Heyman_526

Thank you for your message, i was just wondering if you had an idea as to what the 2012 red poppies are worth? Are they set to go up in value or down? Thank you

Mister T

Quote from: 'Heyman_526' pid='127358' dateline='1668495973'Thank you for your message, i was just wondering if you had an idea as to what the 2012 red poppies are worth? Are they set to go up in value or down? Thank you

My opinion only but I don't think the current prices are sustainable.

Triggersmob

Quote from: 'Heyman_526' pid='127358' dateline='1668495973'Thank you for your message, i was just wondering if you had an idea as to what the 2012 red poppies are worth? Are they set to go up in value or down? Thank you

Best to check sold items on Ebay to get an idea of pricing. 
Some sites for checking mintages of coins and rough idea of pricing....
https://en.numista.com/
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/
Steve

OFEC count = 258

JeffH

Good morning,
I have a large number of uncirculated (and aUNC) decimal, circulation coins, mostly commemoratives. Many duplicates and I am looking at culling the numbers.
Let me know if you might be interested and I can send you details and pricing. I am not looking for silly prices like often asked on eBay for what are mostly not particularly rare coins.
All in 2x2 holders.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.