When do you think the 5c coin will be withdrawn?

Started by Hercules, November 06, 2016, 05:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hercules

When do you think the 5c coin will be withdrawn?

Triggersmob

I can't put a date on it, but I'm thinking when QEII falls of the perch.
Steve

OFEC count = 258

trout

I have NO idea when the 5c will be removed from circulation But I did ask Mrs Trout and a couple of my daughters if they kept and spent the 5c coins.
I got the Unanimous "Yes of course I do, They are Still Money" answer.
I cannot remember the last time that I used coins for any purchase, I always use notes or my card and just chuck the change into my workbag or glove box.
Mrs Trout and the Girls always use their change Before cracking a note if they can.
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Basil

Yeah,girl i know that works at Woolies says they still get a workout in the change,but they won't be withdrawn until after the next Federal Election at the earliest i believe.
Self appointed Coin experts on Ebay & FB will still try and get $80 for Slabbed Coins and milk any proposed withdrawal for every last Cent and then get a relative,or themselves under a pseudonym,to publish a article where the the "end is neigh" for the 5c.
Definition of Wisdom in a Man.\"...the moment in a persons journey through life life when he realises 99.9% of the people he meets & greets don\'t care about himself or his opinions\".

Hercules

I really hope they don't withdraw them, because I'll miss finding all the scarce ones. :)

trout

From a collecting viewpoint the lowly 5c and even the 10c coins are a fantastic medium to encourage new collectors into the hobby.
The 5c "Noodle" at the ANDA shows has proven to be a success and "kudos" to those that have put the time and effort into organising this event :good:
I for one enjoy these little suckers and it would be a shame to loose them :ok:
Aim well to enjoy life. You only get One shot at it.
Illegitimi non carborundum

robbiegal

i doubt they will be withdrawn

the 9.95 works although many shops sell for 9.99

you get the 1, 2, 3, 4 cents back on electronic banking but not cash sales

found this
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/not-making-cents-five-cent-coin-doomed-after-50-years-of-decimal-currency-20160212-gmsl9g.html

Hercules

As I've said before, withdrawing the 5c coin would be a very courageous move, and I don't think any of our current politicians are in that league at the moment. Nevertheless, I still worry that they'll find a way to withdraw it anyhow, considering their penchant for stuffing things up.

Enlilninlil


JeffH

When the USA gets rid of the $1 bill and 1ยข coin.
Thinking is dangerous, it makes you think. That\'s why many people avoid it.

Hercules

When NZ gets rid of their 10c, 20c and 50c coins. :laugh2:

ErikP

Need for tipping, oh sure 9.95? keep the change
\"Blood!...Blood!... That\'s a good thing! A ghost who bleeds is less dangerous!

Hercules

I forgot to ask... Do you think the 5c coin will be withdrawn before or after the mint switches to the Jody Clark portrait?


nealeffendi

Quote from: 'robbiegal' pid='101113' dateline='1478497199'what is that about?

oh found it
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/graphic-design/new-queens-head-redrawn-portrait-for-british-coins-has-been-announced/

Eww! Can see far too much up a nostril on that portrait. Back on topic: I picked 2020-24 as by that period we are likely to go cashless. So not just the 5 cent coin but ALL coins scrapped to be replaced with a card (similar to what they are already doing in parts of Europe). Everything will be tap/swipe and go, just like all public transport in Sydney and most vending machines are now.
The tax man will love it (we love you Big Brother) as we (they) can keep track of how we spend our money. As soon as they scrap coins for small purchases they will then scrap banknotes within a year or so.